Monday 23 November 2020

A new broom sweeps clean

Once more unto the breach then it seems!

My previous blog, 1642 and all that, was initially conceived as a one off way to cover a  counterfactual ECW campaign, a fitting means to document the culmination of a years worth of intensive (for me) miniatures painting. There would be no “filling” posts or amusing anecdotes, no step by step updates on new army builds just documented battles within a campaign framework. 

Well that was the theory anyway. 

Having committed myself to a randomly generated narrative, the whole shebang came to a slightly premature (though hopefully satisfactory) end, far sooner than I’d expected. 

Encouraged to continue the blog by some very well meaning folks I pressed on with ventures new, gradually realising that I was putting myself under pressure to provide content when time and resources no longer really allowed. It wasn’t long before anecdotes and all those filler posts I’d sworn never to produce began to appear!

With my trusty old Mac on its last legs, “feeding the beast“ gradually became a chore, and, coupled with the struggle to provide new and diverting content I sensed it was time to think again.

Hopefully this new blog will remedy matters since I am resolved to only post as and when I feel I’ve something of value to add. 

I’m still hoping to revisit the ECW campaign that I ran in 6mm but for the last few months I’ve been working towards something similar for the War of the Roses in glorious “15mmOvision”.The bigger scale means more detail and therefore (for me) longer painting times - but the Peter Pig figures I’ve been working with are lovely and definitely worth the effort.

I’ve spent a fair few quid on rule sets and books covering the period but have settled (like most war gamers) on writing my own - provisionally titled Mud Blood and Steel. The pictures below show units on my standard 6cm x 3cm bases.





15 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Looking forward to what you come up with - but of course, in your own time, no pressure. We'll just enjoy your posts whenever they come along. The figures look great, of course!
    p.s. I appear to be your first 'follower' - like in autograph books as a kid "by hook or by crook, I'll be first in your book" 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloody hell Dave, not sure how you found me but thanks for the welcome back. I eventually came to the conclusion that after nearly two years of blogging, solo gaming without documenting it in some fashion seemed lacking somehow. Hey ho.

      You are indeed the first follower here, so kudos to you for getting in ahead of the pack (lol). Living proof that if you build it....they will come!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, spotted your comment on Norm's most excellent blog, clicked on your profile name.. bingo!

      Delete
  2. Looking very interesting and I think the 60mm basing looks right. Peter Pig uses 30mm, but in his latest rules, that seems to be a device for removing casualties rather than being a need of representing formations.

    From my own experiences I would agree that servicing a blog from time to time needs to be checked, tamed and brought under the control of posting only when it suits the blogger. Following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, your blog has always been an inspiration, that map of Dungborough is bloody lovely. Bit jealous to be honest! Did you use special software to make it? Tried the Peter Pig WOTR rules, but none of the sets I’ve had from them (such as ECW) have really done it for me. Figures...lovely. Rules...mmmmm...not so much.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, the map was drawn out in ink and then a bit of watercolour paint added. Then photographed and put into the iPad’s PHONTO app, which allows text to be added to pictures - all done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you back blogging again JBM :) I have missed you and your humour and I hope for more of the same here. Nice figures.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lee, great to hear from you mate and thanks for following the blog. I couldn’t help but comment on Norms excellent WOTR campaign, since I’m working on a similar period, but see what happens when you break cover for a moment....Lol!

      Delete
  5. I look forward to seeing this project progress. It's nice to see it being gamed in the smaller scales as it were as the PP figures look good.

    One thing and it may just be my eyes, but I find the type face in the replies really hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Steve, I’m afraid space restrictions have always seen me gaming in the smaller scales, 28mm miniatures seem like giants these days! I’m aiming for bigger than skirmish battles but not battles on the Towton scale. I’m going for a sort of 1:10 figure ratio overall. I’ll have a go at the comments font size a bit later on, though so far new blogger has been finding a million ways to tax my limited IT capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well your limited IT skills have worked because the text is nice and easy to read:).

      Delete
  7. Welcome back! Nice to see your blogging again (as and when you fancied it of course!) I was thinking of you as I did some more Dux Bellorum figures! Oh and good looking War of the Roses chaps!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I’ll be doing a bit more dux at some point, though I’ll be trying to convert it to playing on hexes I think. The WOTR guys are coming along fine and despite my glacial painting speed I’ve managed to get 10 companies done so far. They look okay at table distance...lol.

      Delete
  8. Late to the party but glad I’ve found you. Looking forward to the project - I think 60x30 works really well for 15mm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Graham, lovely to hear from you. Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to follow the blog. I’ll be posting a little more on my painting progress with these WOTR lads in a few days time.

      Delete