Tuesday 1 February 2022

The curse of the flamingo

I had a very quick go at the first scenario in the Paleo Diet rule book last week so I thought I’d share it here seeing as it was an actual game and whatnot.

You’ll note from the previous post that I created a bit of background fluff for my main protagonists though that’s mostly for my own amusement since there’ll only be the odd game of it on here, (when the blog “content well” runs a bit dry for instance) rather than a structured campaign.

The scenario has four hunters who are trying to kill a single giant grazing animal. The hunters win if they can kill the beast with at least three of them left alive at the end to share the spoils. The only changes to the rules I’ve made are the conversion of the games set distances into hex approximations.

My Neanderthal group of six has a selection of different weapons and abilities but with the four I’m allowed in this scenario my strategy was to leave out the bow and simply set a fire that would drive the giant grazer into the path of a pre-prepared ambush. 

The hunt begins! Agg and Dave set off cautiously, trying not to spook Munches the most grass (for tis he) as they endeavour to reach an upwind position. Off on the right Igg and Egg sneak around the rear of the monster in the hope of finding a decent ambush site.

Agg and Dave manage to get upwind of their prey (red triangle shows wind direction) and Agg spots a combustible looking piece of scrub between the rocks.
Meanwhile back at the ranch, Igg and Egg set up an ambush on either side of the mammoths likely path of escape. Munches the most grass raises his trunk to sniff the air, sensing either the first wisps of smoke from Agg’s burning brand, or the explosive unpleasantness of Egg’s troublesome breakfast.*  
The scrubland catches fire immediately and Agg dances in orgiastic delight. He really does like seeing things burn. Dave watches on… more than a little troubled by his compadres unhealthy excitement.
The breeze carries the billows of smoke straight towards the mammoth. Munches the most grass panics and immediately stampedes away from the danger. (I rolled a 6 on the animal reaction table - which was the most extreme outcome possible). Recalling the shameful encounter he had with the Cromagnon depicted Auroch, Igg readies his new sedimentary cryptochrystalline chert tipped hunting stick and clasps his meaty hands tight around its trademark bark textured grip.
Munches bellowed as he rushed headlong towards Igg. (After mulling it over he'd settled on bellowing rather than trumpeting for this game by the way). Igg tensed, spear at the ready. 

As the oncoming beasts thundering feet shook the very air in his chest Igg suddenly caught a glimpse of a large pink bird with very long legs flying overhead… (yup you're going to have to go back a post and look at that cave painting again).

Wham… Munches trampled over the poor distracted Neanderthal just as the Auroch had done to him the season before. 

(I consider entering the same hex to be the equivalent of the games base to base contact. There was a dice roll to see if the hunter gets to jump out of the way or gets trampled. Igg rolled a 1 so got a mammoth tusk in the goolies for his trouble). Lol. 
Seeing his mate go down under the mammoth's powerful feet, Egg rushes out from between the rocks waving his club wildly. Munches veers sharply to one side and heads off around the trees.

Cradling his nuts** Igg scrambles to his feet and manages to stab the retreating backside of his massive assailant. Another two strikes like this would be needed to secure a kill by the way.
 
Observing the trampling debacle and with the fire continuing to spread Dave runs back to the trees in the hopes of heading off the fleeing mammoth. Agg just wants to watch the fire of course, but reluctantly follows in Dave’s wake.

Dave came haring around the corner of the wood to find Munches heading straight towards him, with Igg and Egg in hot pursuit. The sudden appearance of enemies both fore and aft was too much for the fire crazed mammoth who switched from flight to fight in an instant.

This time Dave got the horn*** (well technically the tusk I s’pose, but you get where I’m coming from). Munches turned tail and shouldered the Neanderthals behind him out of the way before thundering off the board to safety.

And here they are. Not so much the wild bunch as the sorry looking bunch. As a result of being the most useless of the hunting party Igg got to role on the negative traits table and came up with "timid". For the next hunt he will suffer a -1 die modifier to any attacks he makes at short range. I suspect that once the Cromagnons get to hear of it there'll be another addition to that cave painting as well.

Having read the rule book through 300 times I still forgot most of the basics when it came to putting lead on the table. Although the rule book is logically laid out narrative wise, from an "in game" perspective there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary flicking back and forth. On the plus side the game took a mere 30 minutes to play through and looks like it'll be a good entry point for my grandchildren, if they can get over the killing animals thing. Ruddy woke kids of today with their rock 'n' roll and their winkle pickers...

Anywhoo, I'd best wrap this post up - my scratch built version of main engineering for the USS Cousteau isn't going to finish itself. 

We'll be off to north Germany for the next game by the way, so it's a good job I made all those bloomin' pine trees recently!

Toodle ooh


Disclaimer: No plastic animals were harmed in the making of this post.


*Yes, I’m doing fart gags now. I know right.

**Apologies, I’m feeling very low brow today. 

*** And inevitably I lower the tone yet further. Breeding will out in the end I suppose.


26 comments:

  1. So do the aforementioned injuries to Igg and Dave help account for their lot being outbred by the Cromagnons?

    Looks a fun game. Can it be played as a team/role-play game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate, yeah I reckon so. It’s a definite disadvantage having had a mammoth tusk in your goolies. Not that I’ve tried it of course. ;-) The game plays really well as co op (so I’ve read) and I presume role playing too. Recommended for low cost, limited scope, small area (3x3), quick set up, wham bam thank you mam games.

      Delete
  2. Looks like heaps of fun and something for me to consider (as if I dont have enough projects distracting me from "proper" large-scale-army games already!). I love all the puerile jokes by the way, keep 'em coming....unlike Dave and Igg (no puerile pun intended but if you picked up on it, so be it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Stop it at once! You’ve got enough on your gaming plate as it is. We need you to focus on “doing”more sexy laydeees…sorry…finely crafted pulp miniatures before you start on anything else. I usually try to tone down the humour a bit since it’s a fairly Anglo centric thing - but a tad more than usual slipped through on this occasion it seems.

      Delete
    2. Well.....as I mentioned previously, our old mate at Copplestone does do some sexy laydees of the appropriate era - sooo...I COULD do both! The Sisterhood of the Cave....be fun coming up with some names for them :)

      Delete
  3. No wonder the mammoths got wiped out. Go around hitting men in their goolies is bound to get people offside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ben, I’m not sure how the word “goolies” came to mind, I haven’t used it since about 1972. It does have a childlike charm about it I suppose and hopefully doesn’t cause offence. I shall advance your theories about the mammoth’s decline to the proper authorities. Generations of cavemen kicking those poor beasts in the nads as payback would definitely have an effect on numbers. The textbooks might all have to be rewritten.

      Delete
  4. An entertaining read and sounds like an ideal 30 minute game. First impression is that the system might need more than four hunters or is that just the way the dice rocked?

    Looks the ideal sort of thing to entertain at family gatherings, the last time I did something like that, I put on a horse race, but used kids dinosaur models and had booby traps and bonus cards on the table …. It went down well, though it cost me quite a bit in prize money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm. The scenario I used was the introductory one and limited the player to four protagonists. The rules expand the number a bit through the other scenarios but there are no real limits. Getting three hits on something as big as a mammoth is quite difficult and co operative play with lots of players and models does seem like the way to go. There is also an accommodation for the predation of other humanoids by the way - so regular wargaming really - apart from the eating of the fallen aspect. The whole shebang would definitely keep kids entertained.

      Delete
  5. Hello old chap,

    I had a good old and much needed chuckle at this latest adventure and am looking forward to seeing the next ‘Banksy’ cave art….A tradition at the SEEMS wargames club is the Christmas dinosaur hunt which is great fun albeit set in Victorian times (think the Lost World meets Benny Hill). There is definitely something appealing about this whole Stone Age thing and let’s face it, even I would have no excuse for not painting half a dozen cave dwellers and the odd Mammoth!

    More please old chap!

    All the best,

    DC

    PS Looking forward to the bridge of the USS Cousteau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ho David, glad I gave you a chuckle. I did a bit of early hominid research before embarking on this project and many of the cave art scenes I saw were open to humorous re interpretation. I have a couple in mind that I could use if I ever do another Tribe post on here. A dinosaur hunt sounds like fun too and I could use my existing VSF troops for it I suppose. Not sure if a poor old T Rex would stand much chance against a gatling mind you.

      Delete
  6. Silly question, but why did you switch it to hexes? I assume you went 1 hex = Short, 2 = Medium and 3 = Long?

    (There are some subtleties to the measuring sticks - 2 x Short moves are longer than 1 x Medium, and are less likely to startle beasts, but require a higher risk/commitment in activation rolls)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m told there’s no such thing as a silly question KK! The short answer is (as always for me) ruddy laziness. I have a lot of hexed terrain and it feels quite odd measuring things out when the hexes are plain to see. I did go with the approximations you suggested but did not consider or even notice (being new to the rules) that two shorts are more than one medium move. Something to consider. I do have none hexed terrain so I could give it a go. As I mentioned in a previous post my interest in the game was piqued by visiting your blog - so kudos to you for bringing it to my attention in the first place.

      Delete
  7. That Agg eh! 'I'm a firestarter, a twisted firestarter' came immediately to mind for some reason. Would have made a great soundtrack to this game I'm sure. I was a bit concerned about the fate of 'Munchies' when he first appeared as I have a soft spot for him, I had feared him being barbequed by those hunters. Great laugh as usual JBM, I sat reading it shaking my head thinking 'How does he come up with this stuff'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strangely enough Lee the tribe has a soft spot for munches too, it’s a boggy bit just of ground just outside the cave where they can chuck his remains. As to how I come up with the stuff is not really the right question, WHY might be the better one to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great little game there with a fun narrative, which makes for a great read. It does seem a great introductory scenario and with all skirmish games, as you become au fait with the rules, then tweaks can be made to starting numbers, victory conditions etc. Looking forward to more of this sort of thing in the future:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve - yeah familiarity with the rules does improve the experience. About the only advantage of solo play is that there’s not some other guy huffing and puffing because you’ve got to stop proceedings to look something up. I’m going to persevere with these rules because they are very flexible and will easily stand a little tweaking.

      Delete
  10. Splendid stuff JBM…
    I too had a fine old chuckle reading this…
    I am rather tempted myself… it’s the kind of thing that She Who Always Defeats Male Parent would find a lot of fun…
    I look forward to seeing more misadventures of Dave and company…

    All the best. Man Who Makes Small Man And Paints Him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Aly. That new name of yours is going to stick mate. The business cards might be a good idea after all.

      Delete
  11. Its all good fun 'til someone gets a tusk up the whatsits eh? Great game description as always JBM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it’s a lesson we should all take to heart I think!

      Delete
  12. A most entertaining read and what a great distraction. Great to have a system that provides fun and doesn’t take ages to play. I fully understand your point re grandkids my two would want to play the mammoth and try to trample the hunters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, there actually is a scenario in the rules where you can play as pack / apex predators hunting the cave men. I should probably give that a go sometime.

      Delete
  13. Entertaining post as always, I'm sure you could do a lost world Martian invasion mega mix as well, good luck with the grandchildren!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I doubt the mega mix will ever hit the blog. Lol. I’m just awaiting my order of Age of Penda miniatures, so they’ll be the next thing I’ll end up focussing on I reckon.

      Delete