Sunday 19 June 2022

Strike

I’ve decided not to follow a formal campaign structure for my forthcoming strike project but will instead run games taken from scenarios in Neil Thomas’ One Hour Wargames book. The first faction (Government or Strikers) to win 3 consecutive games will be deemed to have won the whole campaign. 

The factions will start with the initial force pools listed below from which six units must be selected to become their at start order of battle. New units may be drawn from the force pools to replace losses between games, but the winner of a game will also be able to draw down any one unit from the independent / unaligned forces to add to their own. 

Strikers Forces


Armoured carrier & 6pdr gun

FT17 tank

Austin armoured car

Lanchester armoured car

2 x civilian busses

1 x command group

1 x mortar

1 x Vickers HMG

2 x Factory defence militia

3 x Workers Defence Force infantry

1 x 4.5 inch howitzer


Indépendant Forces


Whippet tank

Civilian lorry

Traction engine

Seabrook armoured lorry

Thornycroft AA truck

Model T flat bed

Motorbike & sidecar

1 x Cavalry

2 x Police (K division)

2 x Naval shore party

2 x Scottish infantry


HM Gov Forces


Tank MKV

Tank MK II

Birch gun

Fascist Earnhardt armoured car - “Carlotta”

Rolls Royce armoured car

2 x Military trucks

Staff car

1 x command group

1 x mortar

1 x Vickers HMG

1 x Fascist infantry 

2 x OMS militia

3 x Regular Army infantry

1 x 4.5 inch howitzer


The units pictured below are included in the lists above and are the last ones required for this project. I’ve a few cardboard buildings to make up and some resin bits and bobs to paint but I expect the next post to be a battle report.


Model T flatbed for the workers defence force command group and a staff car for the officers of the regular army.


A Rolls Royce armoured car of Major General George Lindsay’s experimental mobile force.

A Lanchester armoured car, less glamorous than the Rolls but equally capable. This one was being refurbished at a Birmingham company for onward sale to China when it was seized by the Factory’s  Defence Militia.

Part of a shipment to Russia this Austin armoured car was liberated by a Liverpool dockers collective and quickly pressed into service.

A traction engined road roller…because…erm…it’s cute? I suppose it’d make a decent road block or artillery tractor.

17 comments:

  1. These itsy,bitsy,teeny weeny models are fantastic JBM and the three force lists look like they will provide interesting games. The "campaign " victory conditions look like they could provide quite an extended series of games, looking forward to seeing how thing pan out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks matey. I’m hoping that the lack of structure allows me to play games as and when - rather than devoting weeks to pursuing things doggedly to a conclusion. One thing at a time is my default setting but it could probably be a bit boring for others unless I can break things up a bit. 10mm currently seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for me too, enough detail to keep me happy but cheap enough and small enough to accommodate my currently restricted playing area. Pendraken have some very nice Elizabethan stuff I’m currently trying not to buy. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ECW and League of Augsburg ranges are very nice too. Just saying. 😉

      Delete
    2. Hi Chris, yeah both ranges are very nice. The Augsburg stuff would be a major undertaking because I know virtually nothing about the forces in question. The Pendraken ECW range is really nice too…except…except for those ruddy pikes that are about half the size they should be and look more like blooming spears. I did think of using / mixing lancer miniatures 10mm open handed pikemen with Pendraken stuff but I just don’t know. How many times and in how many scales am I going to do ECW? I’m currently accumulating a bit of a lead pile for when I move to France and postage becomes as expensive as the product itself. Pre dreadnought fleets are being collected at the moment but I need something land based without to many horses. I hate painting horses!

      Delete
    3. I wouldn’t go down the Lancer route. It will look like an army of Laughing Cavaliers.

      Delete
    4. Yeah I’d read a few critical reviews of their ranges in general. I’m not even sure if their 10mm is the same / comparable to Pendraken’s. I could just drill out and replace the Pendraken pikes of course but that’s a whole other ball ache.

      Delete
  3. This all sounds rather good JBM and am lookign forward to seeing how things play out. Most of my campaigns are narrative driven, so I can let the story develop based upon the outcomes of the actions, which gives me some freedom, which is nice. The idea of the winner being able to use units from the non-aligned force is a neat idea and one which I'll probably 'borrow' for my own games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree totally about narrative freedom and I’ve unconsciously adopted a less rigid format for exactly that reason. The third force of indépendants only came about because there were a lot of disgruntled ex soldiers in the population at that time and a fair amount of unwanted military equipment awaiting disposal via scrap yards or sale to foreign governments. I couldn’t decide which side the police would eventually have been on (it might have differed regionally) so I lumped them into the indépendants as well.

      Delete
  4. Is the strike on already?! Lovely looking little vehicles especially the steam roller!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain. Only I could start a wargame campaign based upon a general strike when we seem to be headed towards one in the real world. Timing is everything eh!

      Delete
  5. Looking good JBM. As for horses have you tried these new fangled contrast paint thingies? I have heard that they make painting gee gees a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I s’pose I could give them another go. I didn’t get on too well with them first time around, but I probably didn’t shake them enough or something.

      Delete
  6. Lovely toys JBM…
    I am looking forward to the campaign action…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’d know all about lovely looking toys mate. You’ve one hell of a collection.

      Delete
  7. This all sounds great stuff JBM and certainly the models are lovely. Very interesting theme too, reminded me of the nights I went to support my Dad on the Wapping picket line, quite unbelievable the level of bitterness on both sides and the closest thing I have witnessed to a police state in my lifetime. Anyway, glad you keep the usual humour running though it all :) Oh, and you mentioned Lancer Miniatures above, I have only seen 20mm examples and they are more like dwarfs than humans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lee, I never thought to ask you about Lancer Miniatures, I bet you’ve had the product of nearly every manufacturer there is across your painting table. Lol. I think ill abandon that idea! Never been on a picket line personally but I’ve refused to cross one and been on more than a few demo’s back in the day. As a consequence I’ve also seen the less restrained side of policing so I get where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic vehicles my friend, the last one is surprising and great!

    ReplyDelete