Wednesday 3 August 2022

Hey nonny nonny

Yes it’s a “LOOK IT - I PAINTED SOMETHING POST”…(as per Stew over at at the terrible loss of lead and wealth blog).*

I’ve already started packing away toy stuff in an effort to avoid the damage I did last time we moved (chucking things in boxes at the last minute is not a great idea) so games will now be off the menu until mid November (ish). Rather than go totally cold turkey I will be retaining a limited painting and modelling capability and to that end I’ve already started work on my new Elizabethan wars project.

Compared to the ECW the period doesn’t seem to get a lot of attention outside of the skirmish sized border reiver games or naval themed Spanish Armada stuff, which is surprising when you consider the potential for campaigns set during the Dutch revolt, the wars in Ireland, the wars of religion in France and so on.

I’ve really taken to 10mm as a scale and Pendraken’s sculpts in particular. Fortunately they do a very comprehensive Elizabethan range, (or unfortunately if you were to take a look at my current bank balance). It’s fair to say that if you see the owner of Pendraken driving around in a Ferrari it’ll be because of my recent pre move splurge.

The only downside to the Pendraken figures is the length of the period they cover - leading inevitably to some fashion issues amongst the rank and file. Typically the start of the era sees the big balloon trews, fancy hats, ruff collars, cod pieces and long stockings, but by the late 90’s they have started to give way to something you’d recognise as thirty years war ish. 

One of the best bits of a new historical period (for me) is the research. Here are some of the sources I’ve consulted to get the low down on formations and tactics:

With Pike and Musket - Wesencraft. An oldie but a goody. Basic information on organisation of English and Irish units and written from a gamers perspective. Some useful Irish scenarios in the back too. Long in the tooth but still relevant, unlike me. 

Portable Pike & Shot - Bob Cordery. Great source of inspiration for gridded gaming in the period, especially Alan Saunders’ version of the rules.

Osprey, The Spanish Tercios - Lopez. Written from Spanish sources so very useful info on organisation, page 12 asserting that smaller brigade sized groups of 3-4 companies or “Coronelia” were often used instead of the larger Tercio.

Osprey, Dutch Armies of the 80 Years War - De Groot. Great background on the English involvement in the Dutch revolt against Spain.

Osprey, Pike and Shot Tactics 1590-1660 - Roberts. Dwells a lot on the ECW period but still useful in parts.

Elizabeth’s Army & The Armada - Tincey. Fascinating “booklet” containing a lot of original muster and organisational critiques from the Armada period. In effect it is an analysis of English preparations to counter the Armada and an analysis of their deficiencies. In general the authorities at the time seem to have had a better idea of their capabilities than I ever gave them credit for. If Johnny Spaniard had actually got ashore he’d have had a ruddy hard time of it I reckon. 

The Art of War in the 16th & 17th Century - Oman. Finally ordered a reasonably priced copy but God alone knows when it’ll arrive.

The Works of Sir Roger Williams - Williams. The day to day experiences of a soldier in the Dutch Wars. Ordering it when I get paid!

On the inter web there are of course a lot of useful sites for background info but https://sellsword.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/advises/ advances some interesting thoughts on the effectiveness of the Tercio and perhaps controversially many of the advantages it continued to hold over the wider but thinner Dutch battalions. Discuss.

I’ve resolved to use a very mildly tweaked Alan Saunders set of Pike and Shot rules to game the period (including disruption  and a card activation system) and I’ve pitched the whole shebang at company level, sort of, there being about 100 blokes in a company. Units are composed of umpteen 3x2 cm bases which will allow me to deploy them in column if required.

Pictured below are the four stands of pike in an English company circa 1588. There are a variety of weapon choices and indeed ratios of weapons to choose from, the relative organisation of the ECW being a thing of the future. Despite the variety, a company seems to have fought as a single mixed unit. Regiments, when created, resembled nothing more than a scaled up version of a single company - just with a lot more men. 

Finally - small miniatures but without bendy pikes! The start of my first English company.


Same bunch with an indication of the units frontage in cm. The 3x2 stands down each flank of the central pikes will contain six arquebus per stand and the narrow pill shaped bases at the front will hold either muskets or longbows (when they’ll be placed at the rear). The single stand at the back is for command and an honour guard of short arm melee weapons. 

Depending on where and when it was raised a company might include longbows, melee weapons and even an increasing number of the all new “muskets” alongside the pike and shorter range arquebus.

I’ll be covering Irish and Spanish troops in later posts. 

Right it’s probably time for me to sling my hook. 

Toodleooh

* Waddya mean you’ve not been over there for a look see? Stews blog is ace and merely from reading it I can safely award him my highest accolade - namely “I think I could actually stand being trapped in a lift with this bloke.” Yeah. I know. Praise indeed.



40 comments:

  1. Those are very nice figures, with some keen painting. Bendy pikes / spears are the things that do me in the most …. even worse than kneeling figures!

    These look just the ticket, are they cast with an open hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, yes they are cast with open hands. The guys with the morions might actually do for ECW pikes should I ever go back there, the Pendraken ECW pikemen seem to be carrying spears and simply won’t do.

      Delete
  2. Sensible move getting packed early for the move JBM. The new figures look great, looking forward to following your progress in this era. Finally, I agree with your assessment of Stew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, yeah he seems a card all right. Great sense of humour. Glad you like the figures, there’ll probably be little else but them on here for a while. Lol.

      Delete
  3. Nice new period I did the wars in Ireland many moons ago using Freikorps 15’s and Mr Wessencrafts book and rules ( with a few tweaks ) I used a base of 3 or 4 figures for one of his. You will have great fun. The Pendraken figures are great, I may have a ride over next week to admire Leon’s Ferrari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, I felt like I just couldn’t bring myself to paint yet ANOTHER civil war army but I do love my pike and shot. This period seemed like a reasonable compromise. Hope Leon got the tan leather upholstery with that motor. Lol.

      Delete
    2. using the Wesencraft rules with a base in place of each of his figures is a good idea, I may give that a go, thanks for mentioning!

      Delete
  4. Nice work JBM. I like the variety of dress in those figures. I'm a big fan of Pendraken. Think I might have funded one of the hubcaps. ;-)
    I LOVE that Wesencraft book. Never played the rules though. But it's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi matey, the Wesencraft rules are a bit “old style” to be honest but the scenarios and background info in the book make it a bit of a must have. More people seem to have had it or read it than I anticipated - I only got my copy recently. Typical me. Always a day late and a dollar short.

      Delete
  5. Hey, thanks for the high praise indeed! I often feel the same way about the online club of bloggers. I wish there were a way we could all meet up to game together. If possible; I’m even more charming in person. Humble too. 😀

    Those miniatures look aces to me. It’s not a period I’m particularly familiar with but that looks like a good start. And you’re right; doing the research is part of the fun.
    I’m shocked you’ll be able to do any painting while in the process of moving. I was never able to pull that off. Good on you. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew, the high praise is certainly due. I can’t believe I’ve never found your blog before. Loved what I’ve read so far. Doesn’t hurt to give folk even a limited bump when they deserve it. As someone who is not terribly great with people the internet friendships I’ve made through blogging have been a life saver and a bit of a life affirmer. There’s some top folks that visit this place. Glad you like the minis but as you may have noticed I veer off on a tangent from time to time. This year we’ve gone from Stone Age to Star Trek with the General Strike in between. It’s all go in this hobby!

      Delete
    2. Yes. I agree. It’s all go. Gonna start my own trek adventures soon. 😀

      Delete
    3. Oooh that’ll be good - ships or away teams?

      Delete
  6. Excellent work on those Pendraken figures JBM! And a good scale for an army to paint while you are in the midst of packing. I was wondering why my last Pendraken order was taking so long - they were obviously working overtime getting yours done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben, they’ve no time to fulfil other peoples orders now that I’ve hogged their entire monthly output. The cost of postage to France was horrendous last time around so I thought I’d get as much shopping done now as I can - while I’m on this side of la manche.

      Delete
    2. While the postage to Australia is high we don't get hit by any VAT so basically the Pendraken price with VAT is what I end up paying. That is the price excluding VAT plus 25% for postage. I just hope the powers that be in Australia don't ever decide they need to add VAT to overseas purchases. :-) plus the inevitable handling fee.

      Delete
  7. Another interesting looking project on the go JBM and lovely little figures. Hope everything goes smoothly for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. If it does go smoothly, it’ll be the first time ever! Probably going to have to schedule my melt downs in advance so they don’t clash with the wife’s. So much to do. So little time. : -)

      Delete
  8. Lovely figures! I’m just about to dump a book on Elizabethan England. Reminds me of my A Levels too much! Might have to rethink that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I wish I could’ve done Elizabethan stuff for my A levels - had to skip history at that level unfortunately. Glad you like the miniatures!

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking pikemen, great detail, the Osprey elite armada campaign is quite nice as is the interestingly filed Scottish renaissance armies, osprey elite, just seems a little odd as they lost almost every battle in the period covered or is that just me? I am very tempted by the Irish wars and have started gallowglass and kern, they have a nice big period I can use them for 15th century to 17th which isn't bad and they can serve as Highlanders at Flodden, I've just got to do the perfidious English invaders so I will be following what you do with much interest!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Iain, glad you like them mate, I was pretty sure you would, seeing as the renaissance is very much your thing. Wasn’t aware of the Scottish renaissance armies title, so cheers for the heads up.

      Delete
    2. There is also an osprey on the Irish wars that's worth a look, could I add two blogs as well? Camisado( wonderful Italian wars blog that also does Ireland and Scotland) and You do not know the North which among other things has a lot about the renaissance branch of the Anglo Irish conflict
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. Deffo going to check these out Iain, very useful info mate. Cheers!

      Delete
  10. Have you seen the series of articles in Airfix Magazine in the 1970s on Renaissance wargaming? There was definitely one on the English and the Irish. Probably out of date nowadays. They were written by George Gush and combined in a book later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya - the short answer is no, but I have heard of a book by George Gush about the period which must be the same thing? I’ll bugger off and check it out. Cheers for the info.

      Delete
    2. You must be talking about 'Renaissance Armies' by George Gush, which was brilliant and got a lot of us into that period ( and gave me a blog title!). It was indeed based on a series of articles in Airfix Magazine, I think. I even blogged about my teenage attempts to make Tudor English troops from Airfix Robin Hood, WW1 French and 8th Army, as George suggested :
      https://russetcoatcpt.blogspot.com/2021/02/fnurban-6-tinfull-of-nostalgia.html
      Those were the days!

      Delete
    3. Cheers David. Just found it. That’s going on my Birthday book list!

      Delete
  11. Lovely work there and a good plan for your games too. I love the Pendraken ranges, especially the League of Augsburg one which is just sublime. The small pike issue when cast on is purely down to casting issues, as any longer and the metal cools down before it can get all the way down to the bottom of the mould. Hence to open hands for those that want 'proper' length pikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahah, the mystery of the tiny pikes is solved at last! Bon à savoir!

      Delete
  12. I could send you a scan of the articles. If you get Prometheus in Aspic to forward it to Goya, that should be secure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Could you not just send it to me direct?

      Delete
  13. A lovely start to your latest project…
    Having a separate little ‘ hobby box’ seems like an excellent idea… you’ve even got something to sneak of and do when you get to your new house…


    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly. I suspect I might have a bit of a job sneaking off for the first week or so. The current Mrs Broom is writing lists…

      Delete
  14. Prometheus passed on your email so I’ve sent you the scans. Have a look in your spam folder if they haven’t arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must resist a new period and scale...I must resist.....I must..I must have a look at Leon's webstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, where you been at man? Yeah look at Leon’s site by all means but don’t order anything that might impact the timing of my next casting…lol. Incidentally the pend hand late Elizabethan pikeman in armour would make a good sub for the ECW ones with the toothpick pikes.

      Delete