Friday 2 September 2022

A quick march past

Further research into 16th century combat formations (via a whole slew of new books) has forced me to reconsider the size and layout of the English Elizabethan company of foot I’d detailed in my last but one post.

An English Elizabethan company of foot circa 1595. Pikes in the centre, calivers and arquebusses on either flank and a sprinkling of longer range and harder hitting muskets to the fore. Figures are Pendraken 10mm based on 3x1cm stands for muskets and 3x2cm stands for the rest.

Rear view of the same bunch. The central stand at the back is the command group plus a couple of halberdiers to guard the non existant standard - still deciding which one to use!


A contemporary drawing showing several company’s grouped together but still adopting the smaller formation layout.

I’m now going for a 1:2 ratio and a company of about 150 men. The pikes form a solid 3 base block at the centre of the formation with two sleeves of arquebus troops projecting slightly forward on either flank of them. Muskets were not as common as the lighter arquebus until the very end of the period so I have included two smaller stands of them which can be swapped out for longbows (still officially in use until 1595 with the trained bands - though markedly inferior to the archers of the past since very few people took the time to routinely practise with the weapon).

Blocks of troops composed mainly of pikes, like the earlier Swiss, had relatively open flanks that were vulnerable to sword and buckler men or halberdiers. It is conjectured that the flanking columns of arquebus men eventually helped provide some protection in this regard but the length of the subsequent column covering the pikes resulted in a fairly narrow firing frontage compared to later formations. The concentrated use of short arm melee weapons faded away in all continental armies following this development.

Having finished this company and now adapted my own portable rules (top right) I shall be wrapping up further work until I’m on the other side of the channel. It’s anticipated we’ll be moving (all being well) on the 23rd of the month and that’s close enough now that I need to start packing the last of my kit away. 

A last march past before going into their box for transport.

How the men are to be arrayed in column - according to Sir John Smith.

On the march to their camp, which they’ve not yet realised is in a big cardboard box.


The purchase process in France still has a couple of months to run but luckily we will be renting the gîte that comes with the main property - until the acte de vente is signed. I suspect that I won’t be able to get gaming and modelling again until mid October (ish) so for any readers that have blogs of their own I will be getting my gaming fix solely through your posts. No pressure. Lol.

Toodleooh mes amis.

26 comments:

  1. Impressive work. You worked fast on these, considering that they’re not in uniforms so you can’t get a good production line going.
    Good luck in the France.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris, I’ve really enjoyed painting these chaps. You make pretty rapid progress with 10mm figures, especially when using those contrast paints.

      Delete
  2. That is a very eye catching unit and flexible enough to fit with most rules. Hope the move goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I’m pretty pleased with them. I’ve loads of différent unit types still to do, but all the variety will help maintain my interest I think.

      Delete
  3. Hello old chap,

    That is lovely looking work! What are the plans for the opposition? Very intrigued to see where you are going with this and I hope all the bulk buying in advance of the move will suffice to complete the project!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DC how’s it going? I have Irish units and Spanish units as opposition to these guys, so I’m not sure what to concentrate on first (though I’m leaning a bit towards Irish at present). I reckon I’ve got another years worth of painting with the units I’ve stock piled so far! The Irish will fight in a different manner to the English with different unit types making any battles more interesting.

      Delete
  4. A most impressive display, you’ve done well with these. I shall take a peek at the rules as well. Hope the move goes well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Graham, I’ve enjoyed doing them so far so it’s been a lot less of a grind - not a lot of cavalry to do either in this period.

      Delete
  5. They do look very good and nice basing to allow some flexibility of formations etc. Good luck with the move and I dare say we will be envious when we see votre nouveau maison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, I’ll be using them with a version of the portable wargame. The new gaff should be a major improvement space wise over where I am now. A games room of my own will be a major advance over the dining room table!

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the move JBM. It is must be a very exciting change, especially with the extra space!
    Great looking figures. I am very impressed with your research! My research consists of looking through the Pendraken website saying "I will have some of those, some of those, two of these and a commander. That looks about right. " 😁 And later googling to see how I should paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolz - I think we’ve all built armies that way from time to time Ben. I’m not as exhaustive a researcher as nundanket for instance but I really enjoy finding out about bits of military history I know little about.

      Delete
  7. They do look very good JBM and it's an interesting choice of period. I always liked those caps/hats of the time! You have done a good job recreating the correct formations too. 'Sir John Smith' brought back memories of somewhat watery beer though :) Best of luck with the move, I think you will be geographically closer to me in France than you are in Wales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Lee, and yes some of the hats they wore, apparently into combat, make me laugh. When I was in the TA and on exercise I often struggled to keep my slightly too large helmet from falling over my eyes as I ran from position to position. While pikemen are unlikely to be running in combat - except away I suppose, I do wonder about the period choice of headgear and its practicality. As to France and distances you could well be right. My in laws in Coventry take 4.5 hrs to make it to my current address, but will only take 20 mins to get to East Mids airport, 1.5 hours to fly to Limoges and 30 mins from there to the new gaff. Daft isn’t it.

      Delete
  8. Very nice work JBM and sounds like you have plenty of stock in hand to keep you going for a little while! Bon Chance with the move - exciting times - I know its not your first time but moving house within the same town is a pretty big upheaval for most people, so moving to a foreign land is a whole extra level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks matey, yeah I’ve managed to build myself a lead pile…even if in 10mm it’s not a very big one. Lol. Still, the wife says that size doesn’t matter, so we’re all good. As to moving - this time will hopefully be a lot smoother than last. We now speak the language, know the area, have a removal company taking our stuff, and have covered the minor details of the wife not being life changingly ill as I transplant us to a « house » with no floors and a cow living in it. The other plus sides are that this property has more than a 5kw electricity supply, has internet and a roof that actually keeps out the rain. Oh yeah there’s underfloor heating there too!

      Delete
  9. They look really good, and an interesting period. I hope the move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, it is an interesting period, and one that tends to get overlooked for some reason. I can game everything from stand up battles in the Dutch revolt, to small group ambushes in Ireland with these figures, and when you mix in the differing weapon types and tactics used I should get some decent mileage out of them I think.

      Delete
  10. No gaming until October?!! Are you sure the move is worth it?
    Oh wait, you mean October this year? That’s acceptable. Barely. 😀😀
    I’ll try to live up to the pressure.
    Your figures look nice. 10mm is such a cool scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m expecting you to do your gaming / blogging duty and produce at least two amusing posts over this difficult period - so buckle up. Yeah 10mm has become my « go to » scale at the moment. Quick to paint and the units you produce avoid the « four men taking a flag for a walk » effect.

      Delete
  11. Lovely little people JBM…
    Here’s to a safe and uncomplicated journey to your new home/wargames haven.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I’m looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measure!

      Delete
  12. Splendid looking unit! Good luck with the move, on the 23rd I'll be trundling up to Aberystwyth with my daughter for her second year in Wales, she likes it! I expect when you are set up in France that you will come up with something completely different (based on previous history) so Ottoman galleys or colonial warfare, here we come!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Well judging by the little lead mole hill I’ve created I’d better see this project through to the end. The cost of getting stuff shipped out to France might clip the butterfly’s wings a bit too… but new projects… yeah you can never say never in this hobby. Have a good trip across to Aber. Glad your daughter likes it, it’s not a bad place Wales, it’s just not for me.

      Delete
  13. I do like these colorful and superb figures, truly splendid!

    ReplyDelete