Wednesday 13 September 2023

Cant see the wood for the decision trees

During my planning for the current AWI campaign I realised that I needed some way to not only engage the opposing generals militarily but also to force them to make some of the political and moral decisions that their real life counterparts had to occasionally confront.

Can’t see the Indians for the trees either. Cherokee on the warpath.

A random event for each player every turn might seem like overkill but it’s certainly built an interesting narrative for only a little pre game planning.

There are ten random event subjects and each turn a 1D10 roll determines which subject my generals will have to deal with. The chosen subject generally presents each general with a decision, the ramifications of which may continue off in several directions over time.

Since both players are now aware of this one, here’s an example:

A snapshot of number 8 on my pre scripted décision tree.

On turn 2 I rolled an 8 for Chris (British General) which produced an encounter with some elders from the Cherokee nation. The Cherokee were historically allied to the British but if this result had come up for Graham I’d have chosen a different tribal grouping. Note the red boxes on the tree denote the end of the subject for this faction. If Indians are rolled again for Chris it’ll be treated as a « no event ».

The Indians offered to assist the British in one of three ways but claimed they needed to be armed by the British first.

Unwilling to pass up the chance General Parrott agreed to arm them and asked them to interdict enemy supplies. What he didn’t realise was that unlike appearing as auxiliaries in battle or increasing his strategic map scouting range the supply interdiction option would develop randomly next turn depending on a 1D6 roll by yours truly.

Next turn I rolled a 4. Obviously I didn’t tell Chris. Rather than attacking the American military supplies which I’m sure Chris had hoped for, the Cherokee started raiding the American farmers in the small settlement of Arrowhead. Not only did this shift them from their majority loyalist outlook, the raids destroyed supplies that Chris had issued promissory notes for. Mmm.

Since I asked both generals to think as their real life counterparts might’ve done I’ve been surprised on several occasions by the answers they’ve come up with to deal with ongoing problems. Issuing Promissory notes to make up a shortfall in supplies being one of them. It was so unexpected and ingenious that I had to allow it even though it was outside of the game rules. It just goes to show that even with extensive pre game planning you can’t cover everything - though it certainly makes for a more interesting narrative when the players engage with you like this.

Toodleooh.



21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. I’m sure it’s not that original a concept but it helped to generate a story - which (with no military reputation to burnish) was what I was hoping to get out of the whole thing in the first place.

      Delete
  2. I came across a similar issue in a game as umpire. I had reservations about it historically, but didn’t want to close down the whole thing, just because it was outside the box …. and possible, so I rolled a D6. On a 1 - 4, my gut instinct was supported and it wouldn’t happen (but would be re-rolled for again if relevant), 5 or 6 an I would overrule myself and it would happen.

    I think there is a great deal of fun to be had as an umpire to see such shenanigans going on and to put to test pre-conceptions by the umpire as to how things ‘should’ proceed.

    You are doing a good job of keeping your generals entertained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I’m not sure if you are referring to me in your comment but you may remember in your massive Napoleonic PBEM I asked you to get one of my badly battered regiments to start building a pontoon bridge across the river at Wavre? You of course knew that the game would end after the outcome of Waterloo and it wouldn’t be completed in time, but as players we couldn’t be so sure. An extra bridge would have been very useful as I recall. Lol.

      Delete
    2. No, it was a player wanting to destroy a large stone bridge. I have some narrative somewhere that actually says the Prussians were both hesitant and poor a bridge destruction, which I took as a guide and combined with the fact that it would have undermined the scenario, decided to stack the odds ‘slightly’ against the request.

      Delete
  3. Excellent Mark. That certainly worked well as a game mechanic, and as 'period flavour'. Mores the pity. I can see I'm going to need to engage my brain. Once I've located it. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest that wherever possible you avoid just choosing one of the options I present to you, there might be others I’ve not thought of, and I’m duty bound to consider them - even if they aren’t on my decision tree. It is really quite unfair that you don’t know how things could turn out with these random events, but, then that’s life I suppose. Makes for an interesting story.

      Delete
    2. It’s perfectly fair. Stuff like that happened and folk never knew how things would turn out. I just need to learn the lesson.
      Chris

      Delete
  4. I like this. Keeps your generals on their toes and thinking. Looking forward to seeing what else you roll up as you post on this game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. You’ll be pleased to know there’s an absolute doozy coming along next.

      Delete
  5. Great idea JBM. A decision made with an intention to get an advantage ends up creating greater problems. Very realistic. I think all your generals may become much more cautious in their decision making. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, I put this post up in the hope that both players might be a tad more cautious when they see how this part of the game actually works. Might be a bit late now mind you. Lol.

      Delete
  6. Cool idea. Adds a good dimension.
    And further proof that the umpire works the hardest. Getting close to being like GMing a roleplaying game. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stew, it is a bit like GMing a role playing game isn’t it. I do hope Général Parrott finds his plus 1 mace in time to make a difference. Lol. Wait till they meet the end of level monster.

      Delete
  7. It's this kind of random event that makes a campaign such an interesting and attractive proposition, great work JBM

    ReplyDelete
  8. All good stuff Mark and frankly we can never cover all the bases in campaigns, or even games, no matter how much we prepare. So a bit of modification and adjustment as you go along is prefectly fine, as you want to make it as easy for you to run as possible, without getting into a quandry over stuff. I speak from experience of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, you think you’ve nailed everything down then people with actual minds throw you a curved ball or two. God alone knows how poor old Norm dealt with multiple players and a sprawling battlefield.

      Delete
  9. Smart move to add a bit of interest and friction as the campaign moves along!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to I think when there’s lots of manoeuvres and no fighting. Gotta keep everyone interested somehow.

      Delete
  10. No chance then that refusing the Native American request to arm them might leave them feeling untrusted, insulted, etc. such that they might actually turn against you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Rob, it was originally on my decision tree but even with just 10 overall topics it began to branch out in every direction and I got a bit spooked by the monster I’d created. A few things had to get the chop and this was one of them. I rationalised it by assuming that being slighted by the white man would be nothing new - and it would be less likely to translate into outright hostility - just dull resentment.

      Delete