Thursday 8 February 2024

La vie en France

It’s been a while since I shared a few nuggets of French life with you so hopefully you won’t mind if I jot these two down while they’re still fresh in my mind. 

There are unsurprisingly two types of France. The busy metropolitan, high fashion, high crime, snooty, unfriendly, stylish France - and the backward, empty, countryside - where I live amongst the paysan.

The people here are suspicious of change and unimpressed by fancy cars or outward signs of wealth. They have a strong sense of community, now largely absent in the dog eat dog Disunited Kingdom, (Discuss…) and their solidarity allows them to face down the government if they try something people don’t like. (It’s refreshing to live in a country where the government fears the people rather than it being the other way around). 

In 2017 the metropolitan elite in Paris decreed that the standard 90kmh speed limit would be reduced across France to 80kmh, for safety reasons. This is good idea in a major city where journey times are short and traffic / pedestrian volumes are high, but out here where it’s 2hrs to the nearest major city and where you might sometimes get caught in a three car traffic jam it was a major irritation that needlessly added more time to every journey. Representation was made to the relevant ministers…and duly ignored. 

Big mistake. 

Within 2 months every working speed camera in an area the size of Wales (by way of a UK comparison) had suspiciously caught fire and most folk went back to driving at 90kmh. 

Unable to immediatly pay for new cameras all such transgressions went officially unrecorded and within a year the 80kmh edict was reversed for our region.

Just lately we have experienced the start of another wave of discontent, this one centred on the hugely powerful French farming community - who typically work 70hr weeks and whose standard of living has been gradually undermined over the last ten years. The farmers feel their world is being turned upside down (nice ECW reference I slipped in there eh?) but the expression they use is that they are “walking on their hats.” To give voice to this expression they began (about 2 months ago) to turn all official road side location names upside down, like this:

Not our village but you get the picture. The farmers here are walking on their hats - and this is a sign to the government of their distress

The police and the authorities know who is doing this of course but strangely no charges have been brought and the signs have still not been put back up the right way. 

Okay that’s the political expression of community covered but let me give you a couple of more personal examples of its practical benefits. 

Back in November I had cause to nip down the bank to draw out 240 euro to pay a bill then I decided to pop to the pharmacie for my noggin meds. 

In between leaving the car and crossing the road I managed to drop my wallet out of my man bag (no judgement on the man bag please it’s almost obligataire out here) and only discovered its loss when I got into the Pharmacie. 

The very spot in Saint Dizier Leyrenne where I had cause to mutter “Mon dieu. Où est mon portefeuille?”


Retracing my very limited route to the car failed to find the damned thing so I then went into a death spiral of doubt and recrimination. The wallet contained things whose importance far outweighed the 240 euro in notes, namely my driving license, my card giving me permission to live in France, my card entitling me to access medical care, my bank cards etc etc. 

Back home I began the nightmare process of organising replacements but fortunately had not got very far with it before our mayor sent a man round to let me know the wallet had been found and it was being kept at an address some 30km away if I wanted to collect it.

When I got to the indicated place that evening I found a typical broken down farm shack, a woman in a thin cotton dress and a snot nosed kid wearing only one shoe. They didn’t have a pot to piss in by the look of things but when they handed over my wallet its contents, including the cash, were all still there. I forced a reward on them for their honesty knowing full well that back in Wales the money would have been up some bastards nose and the wallet with cards tossed in the nearest bin…quick sharp. 

It was almost enough to restore my faith in humanity.

Almost.

Then there was last week. 

In a nearby wood, documented in a previous post, was a proper nomadic style yurt in which lived Jeremie and Marie. They had an off grid lifestyle and it’d be harder to find two nicer folk. Though they had permission to occupy the site and had been there for two years there’d been a bit of a disagreement with the land owner over money and they’d been told to bugger off asap. 

Jeremie and Marie’s yurt in happier times.


With bugger all money, no references and no transport (other than a bike) they were royally screwed - unable to even take the yurt with them. 

In a city they would have become homeless. Fortunately for them our commune [Saint Dizier Masbaraud) owns a number of former railway properties that for complicated reasons they are obliged to keep and maintain (should the rails and the trains ever return) and which are semi permanently empty. The mayor fixed them up with one of them within a day, no references or guarantors required and the whole shemozzle at a peppercorn rent. There was still the problem of moving their surprisingly large number of possessions of course but this was quickly fixed when the word went round and 16 strangers with four vans, three trailers, a camion and an ex pompière vehicle turned up to help out. 

Here’s the gaff in question. 


And here’s are a couple of members of the impromptu moving committee. At 12.00 two tables appeared along with wine, beer, pizza, locally made bread, pate, etc. Everyone stopped working and sat around for a leisurely chat and a munch. No money changed hands at any point. Refreshing in more ways than one. 


As the famous advert once said…and to which I’ve been forced to add a correction. 

“There are some things in life that money can’t buy. For everything else there’s Amex  Community Spirit.”


Toodleooh mes amis


32 comments:

  1. Superb! My faith in humankind has gone up a notch with your refreshing story. Here, we still fear the Government and it certainly has no fear of us.
    Are you accepting applications from Americans with very poor French?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mais oui, bien sûr. Brings to mind, somewhat ironically…

      “Give me your tired, your poor
      Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
      The wretched refuse of your teeming shore
      Send these the homeless tempest-tost to me”.

      Seriously though it is nice these days to hear of folk helping others just because they can.

      Delete
  2. A refreshing post mon brave. IMO the problem here in Blighty is the myth of meritocracy is strong.
    Aux barricades!
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, I think you’re right. In the interests of balance (absent from my post) France does have some massive systemic problems and even existential ones when you consider that everything in the French language has to be male or female. Not much scope for gender neutral pronouns here apart from the hugely controversial recent use of “iel”. It’s not all fromage and sunshine over here. Lol.

      Delete
    2. The Finnish language does away with articles altogether. No ‘the’ or ‘a’ let alone le/la, un/une. No gendered pronouns either. Just ‘hän’. Don’t tell GBNews, they’ll be outraged at how woke it is.
      Chris

      Delete
    3. lol. People do get in a flap about the most unusual things, dont they.

      Delete
  3. Great post dude. I recall a tale many years ago from rural France in which a farmer expressed his unhappiness over some local regulatory problem by pumping a tankerload of pig slurry over the Mairie in his neighbouring town. It's (sort of) cute, but there is always a guillotine somewhere in the shadows. The story of the yurt rescue is heart warming. My heart, may I say, is warmed.

    I am delighted that you made it back - my best wishes. Britain is a festering place these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Max ;-). The slurry thing is still being done by the way. They made a shocking mess of the Mairie in Nante recently. Burning tyres and bales of hay across motorways are much more a la mode these days however. Progress of sorts I suppose. Incidentally I’m more disappointed than angry with Britain these days - so I apologise if my partisan dystopian view of the old country comes over a bit too strong sometimes. A little more balance in my reportage is probably required I think. France is far from perfect - despite the way I eulogise it.

      Delete
  4. Really moving to hear such stories, you are fortunate to live in what appears a kinder, saner and compassionate place than many do. Common sense too. I am horrified by the properties that lay empty in this country when they are most certainly needed.
    Thank you for your uplifting post
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan. It’s good for the soul to remember that sometimes normal folk do nice things just because they can. I think after a while we forget that such random acts of kindness are still possible. Take heart that they are, but only if we choose to make them happen.

      Delete
  5. It is indeed heartwarming to hear that natural kindness still exists in this mad f*”%3) up world…
    Maybe we should be turning the politicians over on their heads… The rush of blood might do them some good…
    “Power to the people”

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some fun stories of civil disobedience and human kindness.
    Concepts that I am trying to teach my children.
    I'll let you know how it turns out. might be awhile. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught my kids to think for themselves, not to always do what they’re told by the “man” and so they naturally went off and formed opinions I didn’t like and refused to comply with my wishes for them to think again on a whole range of subjects. As you sow, so you reap.

      Delete
  7. That really was a most enjoyable and heart warming read with the morning coffee JBM, thank you for sharing :) Community spirit lives on and it's small acts of kindness - and honesty - that can make such a difference to peoples lives, (thinking about the lovely lady who paid my daughters bus fare home after a 12 hour nightshift on the wards, the bast**d bus driver refused to let her on as she only had a £10.00 note and he said he could not change it). I'm afraid Dear Old Blighty is no more, sunk in a cesspit of self serving political idealism, I really do despair and I envy you your lucky escape my friend :) I will drop you an email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, glad you’re still chugging along mate. I’m very lucky that I live in a quiet spot, some of my friends here keep telling me this is the France of 50 years ago and its nothing like this elsewhere. Not keen to find out if they’re right tbh.

      Delete
  8. Fascinating snap shots of life in France, with all of it's good and bad points too. Our daughter has a French partner so interesting to have chats with him and his view on what works and what doesn't etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve, like all French people I’ve met he will tell you that France is doomed and that living here is hell. A bit like America they often don’t have a frame of reference to make a valid comparison with other countries. If you want existential angst - this is the place to visit. lol.

      Delete
  9. Lovely stories, great to see such a community spirit. One thing that strikes me is the way the local Mayor can and does get involved and get things done - I'm not sure we have an equivalent over here. Parish council? Probably not.
    btw are we talking about 'National Characteristics' here? ( like Bruce Quarrie Napoleonics?!)... There is quite a good BBC radio comedy 'the Cold Swedish Winter' about an Englishman moved to Sweden. The writer says that the difference is that Scandinavians are much more trusting and obedient of authority both local and national, whereas the Brits are much more anarchic and will ignore or kick against authority. Sounds like maybe the French are even more so...?
    Having said that, the biggest recent British example of 'kicking against authority' was - yep, voting for Brexit...
    Really enjoy your posts on La France Profonde, always great to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David, your spot on about the mayor of a commune. They can make or break the place. Our old commune mayor was crap, only interested in helping the local farmers and himself. This commune on the other side of our department is much better organised. I suspect the general anti govt belligerence out here is more about country peasants versus urban elite than an overarching French characteristic. I’m going to have to do more research. Lol.

      Delete
  10. The examples of community related benefits to living in a rural society are great JBM and I am sure you would find the same if you were in less populated areas of most countries, but its still very nice to see. 
    As to the expressions of political dissent, I think I must have a dash of authoritarianism in my psyche, - I find the French farmers reactions to lowered speed limits irritating (we have the same thing going on here in New Zealand at the moment) - I would have flooded the area with extra gendarmes and physically enforced the new limits, whilst building a few speed humps to slow them down a bit (what kind of tractors are they driving anyway?!)
    It's all very well to live an older, more attractive style of life and look down on "city elites" but I bet they would moan like XXXX if they had no internet or wifi because they are living a 60's life style in the middle of nowhere!
    As for the road signs - no worries, I would just leave them upside down! How did you feel about the Welsh spray painting over all the English names on their road signs, so that it gets a bit confusing for non-Welsh speakers EG I am picking most people would struggle if they were looking for the road to Milford Haven but the only road signs in sight said Aberdaugleddau! (I had to Google that BTW!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah some very good points there Keith, especially about rural communities in other countries being broadly the same. I guess there are less rural communities of a similar size in places like Britain (which is my only point of comparison) so the whole thing here is somewhat magnified. Not sure what tractors they’re driving…but they’re feckin big! I confess I’ve moaned like hell about things like inadequate internet coverage but the “city elites” have made a focussed effort in the last few years to address the poor comms situation and interestingly out of the eight houses in our hamlet we are the only ones who’ve availed themselves of the recently installed fibre. No one else seems to care about it. Don’t forget there’s a fax machine at the Mairee’s office should anyone need it… :-). I would go so far to suggest that there’s a certain perverse pride in their own backwardness. I experienced the same in the West Midlands where the folk in the Black Country were very much the same.
      The Welsh signs being “vandalised” is interesting because I actually sympathised with their desire to reclaim their language and never went far enough into unknown territory that it became a problem. With that said the reason it rankled with me was that it was done with an undercurrent of hostility against outsiders (English) which I realised with horror included me - whereas these French sign protests do not target sections of the population based on their ethnicity or language. In a nutshell (I felt) the Welsh sign stuff was intended to be divisive (Weren’t we all meant to be British, first and foremost?) whereas the French sign stuff, if anything, is aimed at a handful of government ministers who frankly couldn’t give a toss what others think of them. Complicated subject and one we possibly wouldn’t agree on. Despite the irritation of blocked roads etc etc there doesn’t seem to be a general backlash over the issue, indeed many French tend to hang all of their own unrelated grievances (of which their are many) on the back of the Farmers protest. Arrrr dammitt you’ve made me nearly write another blog post with this response, LOL.

      Delete
  11. Great to see that you have bought a lovely home in a fantastic community JBM. The community and neighbors is often the hardest thing to get right and always a bit of a gamble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben, I agree 100%. I’m not sure why, but we’ve always been well blessed with neighbours wherever we’ve lived.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you have landed on your feet JBM, or possibly your hat. Glad you have found such a nice spot to settle down in. The locals sound to be a nice decent bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you oh mystery comment leaver - you’re spot on. I think we’ve done all right landing in this neck of the woods.

      Delete
  13. The French do know how to stand up to the man! Wish we had a bit of that spirit over here in blighty! As for the community coming together, over here all those who helped out would have probably been burgled while they were out!! Vive la France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee Hee Ray your probably right. It might happen here too though if yer average Creusois had anything worth nicking and if the burglars had time to pick their way through several generations worth of household junk. They don’t seem to throw anything away. My nearest neighbour has four radios in her kitchen, stacked on top of each other in what I presume was the order of purchase and subsequent breakdown. The bottom one looks like it was used to listen to Petain and the latest is definitely circa 1972. Lol.

      Delete
  14. Nice post my sisters French neighbours can't believe how subservient the Brits are, might have a point!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m afraid the UK population do seem to put up with a lot. There’s a lot of grumbling of course…but not a lot of action. FYI. The farmers out here won their dispute last week.

      Delete
  15. The whole thing with shenanigans using manure puts me in mind of something that occurred while I was working for the old Inland Revenue (before it morphed into HMRC). One of my colleagues was investigating the accounts of a local pig farmer. Said farmer had been dragged in for one interview already and clearly had not been much impressed with the Inspector’s approach. He was now coming in for a second grilling!

    I had an office that looked out over the public parking spaces at the front of the office and happened to be gazing out of the window when the farmer arrived. I watched as he got out of his pick up truck walked to the rear and took out a large tray which he carefully placed on the ground. He then changed his shoes for a pair of wellies (I’m sure you can see where this is going). He carefully stood into the tray and sloshed the contents around for a moment before stepping out, replacing the tray and entering the office. We had just had new carpets fitted and the inspector’s office was at the far end of the corridor. It took months to get the smell of pig S#*t out of the carpet! Funnily enough there were no further face to face interviews of said farmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it. I wonder if that would still happen today? I suspect the spirit of resistance both collective and individual has been legislated away over the years.

      Delete