Friday, 4 September 2026

Low hanging fruit

I sat in a field with the wife the other week to watch the eclipse. Saw bugger all as it happens, but something tiny in the grass (no not the wife) bit me in the nads. Nasty.

The swelling was awful, but it did get me some very admiring looks from the grannies in the boulangerie the following day, so it wasn’t all bad. “Yeah bitches” I muttered sotto voce as I stood at the counter, “check out them apples.”

Returning home with the croissants I heard the wife talking to her mother on the phone, cackling with delight about biting low hanging fruit or some such. Now I know we’ve not long brought in the last batch of plums from the orchard, but why she’d find feasting on them so amusing is anyone’s guess? Women. Pah! 

Not having been able to sit down properly has been a welcome excuse not to go into the games room mind you. I’ve been trying to paint some 15mm ECW for a week or so but I’ve developed a bit of a tremor in the left hand that’s made it nigh on impossible to obtain a decent result. Sad to report that I made such a dogs breakfast out of my last attempt that three of the little sods ended up in the bin following a bit of a hissy fit. 

Talking of chucking things away, my Brompton terrain boards all went the way of the Swan Vesta yesterday too. They were getting a bit “frilly” for my taste. Verging on the railway  modeller aesthetic or thereabouts. The way things were going there’d have been no room for the troops again. Been there done that. Besides I’ve got form for destroying things I’ve created. Just ask my therapist about my robot buddy Colin, my previous blog and my self published novel “Wormwood.” Sometimes you have to burn the village to save the village, n’est ce pas!. 

Being a natural « coughs » brightsider though I’m pleased to report that while 15mm appears to be a no no for now, I’m still able to knock out the 28mm stuff to my usual crappy standard, witness these lads below:

Stretcher bearer! These boys will be aiding the forces of repression in forthcoming Brompton games. British army uniforms of this period don’t present a great colour pallet to work with do they?

Without Brompton’s Sarissa terrain boards I’m moving back to hexon for the foreseeable; sort of stripped back and almost cartoonish. Better looking? No. Easier to create landscapes? Yup. I know most of you really don’t like hexes, but I reckon if you squint really hard at my blog photos from here on in, you probably won’t notice them at all. 

Probably.

Fortunately I’ve created another set of rules for my most recent AVBCW pash, which just so happen to be hex based and 28mm. 


What a happy coincidence.

Other than that I was surprised to find a figure on the Artizan website that’s named after me, and that doesn’t happen everyday now does it? Could it be a sign from the cosmos to indulge in some more Victorian sci fi?

Mmmm. Hold my beer for a mo would you? I’m off to have another decko at Pendraken’s Selenite’s.

Blimey you have a filthier mind than me. 

Selenites are moon men.

Invasion of the moon men could be a thing at some point I reckon…well after I’ve finished the jolly jack tar contingent for Brompton that is. 

Toodleooh for now mes amis.






No comments:

Post a Comment