Tuesday 15 December 2020

It’s hardly Vauban...

...but I likes it!

I’ve spent a few quid on hexon stuff lately, flocked these days since my allergy to the static grass has apparently faded with time.

Anywhoo, my eye was caught by some of their trench stuff for WW1 and though it’s meant for their 10mm miniatures, my 6mm boys look okay in this prepared defence position that looks something like a star fort (if you squint at it, in the dark, from 10ft away). 

I’m going to justify its use on the grounds that both sides in the ECW conflict employed foreign experts to design defences for them, and whoever is in possession of this one has employed a right idiot.

I’m sure it’ll be making an appearance at some point in a forthcoming follow on (from my first one) ECW campaign that I’m provisionally entitling “Return of the King”. 

Thankfully hexed terrain means I can use Msr Foys excellent C&C ECW rules derivative again, which remain my “go to” set for the ECW.

The photos below show Sir William Pennyman’s Regt of Foot marching in to these new defences to support some artillery bods.





12 comments:

  1. A nice compact piece. I find the Kallistra flocking to be much thicker and sturdier than if I attempt it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entirely agree with you Norm. They swear blind they only use PVA but it also comes out better than I can manage. I suspect they are using some kind of industrial strength stuff - or polygrip like my grandad used to use to keep his false teeth in... lol.

      Delete
  2. That certainly works well as a star fort and the 6mm figures look fine in it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, those 6mm boys are actually about 10mm anyway when you take their bases into account.

      Delete
  3. Decent looking star fort and your chaps look good in it,I've been thinking about scratch building a star fort, if it goes wrong I can follow your example and blame the French!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, the problem I had was producing something that fitted within a hexed game board. I tried scratch building but the results either looked very weird or were, geometrically speaking, beyond me. The Kaiistra product isn’t perfect...but it’ll serve. Lol.

      Delete
  4. Good looking fort but when you begin a new blog, you gotta let people know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, glad you liked the fort, didn’t want to advertise the new blog since I’m not that comfortable with the whole self promotion thingy.

      Delete
  5. Having just found the blog myself, I agree with Jonathan! :o)) I also agree with the others, as a star fort/sconce it works really well... apropos of nothing Pennyman's are on my list for the next or next but one unit to hit the painting table...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Steve, nice to hear from you. I had a right old game trying to devise some sort of fortification that would fit within and yet still reflect the hex side orientation of the hexon tiles. Then I saw the trench stuff at kalistra and voila!

    I’ve a soft spot for Pennyman’s by the way since this was my ECWS re enactment regiment. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fort looks good to me. Would work for many periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi nundanket, glad you like it old fruit. Thanks for dropping by. Congrats on your recent posting milestone too.

      Delete