Monday 21 December 2020

Here’s one I made earlier

My grandson came over to stop for a bit in the Summer and after inspecting the first batch of WOTR troops I was painting he idly asked how long they took to do. 

To my surprise I had no real idea. Too long was my initial thought of course, but the lad had asked and I felt duty bound to give him an answer. 

Now until I get around to the detail heavy knights on horseback the massed ranks of archers seem to be the units requiring the most of my labour so I stuck five pre primed boys on a coffee stirrer, set up my iPad timer, and had at it.

I went through the process familiar to all of us of blocking in, a bit of shading, some highlights, tidying up mistakes and then varnishing. Bit of music on (The Levellers and then Muse if you must know) and time seemed to fly by. Finally happy with the result I consulted the stopwatch - and blanched. Erm...no way. Apparently it had taken me  31 minutes per figure, prior to basing. Aaaaaaargh!

Given that I’m a 105 miniatures in so far, that’s... bloody hell... 54 hours!

Of course quite apart from the miniatures there’s silly things like in game markers, which for my home brew WOTR rules means three ammo markers per ward with archers. 

I initially went with these chaps, cos I like them...


But then I defaulted to these arrow bundles from Donnigton because I’ve got short arms and deep pockets, lol.


Also, while on a (tight arse) do it yourself trip, I knocked out a couple of staked defences to place in front of my archers, lovingly crafted from some little nails and good old miliput. Needs must when the devil drives eh!

Since I may be called in for some emergency cheese making at the dairy this week (man it’s tough being a key worker...lol) this could end up as my last post before Christmas. 

I’ll close by wishing you all a merry Christmas, Festivus, Yule, Kwanzaa, whatever, and hope that all your lead piles are little ones!

JBM

15 comments:

  1. I don't want to time myself when painting 10mm miniatures, as it would be too depressing. I do know my basing routine and painting that, before getting to the actual figures, can take a few hours for say 10 - 20 bases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, I posted this as warning to others who might be curious about their own time investment in the hobby.

      It’s a Pandora’s box, that you definitely shouldn’t open... Trust me, you can’t handle the truth! Lol.

      Delete
  2. As a great man once said, Blessed are the Cheesemakers...
    I am a self-confessed rubbish painter and I suspect I am still taking ages per figure.
    Have a great Xmas, let's hope for a better New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I think it was the patron saint of Mozzarella that said that, or as he’s known in the fromage game... Cheezus!

      Fingers crossed for 2021 eh!

      Delete
  3. I think people almost expect 28mm figures to take a while to paint, but the surprise for me was that 15mm, by time you do a few extra for the same sized base, do not offer a huge saving in painting time.

    The Donnington arrow markers look very useful and I like the stakes. I used cocktail sticks, re-whittled to get the right sort of point, with a blade for mine. There are so many things for a wargamer to repurpose :-)

    Best wishes for Christmas and may Santa bring you two fully painted armies or at the very least, a shiny new dice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Norm. There’s so much ruddy detail on 15’s these days...which is great and bad in equal measure. I wanted to use cocktail sticks for the stakes as well but we didn’t have any in the house!!!! Don’t know what the missus is playing at. Honestly you can’t get the staff. Have a lovely Xmas.

      Delete
  4. I don’t think I have ever timed myself painting figures...
    Although I do know how long it takes me to sculpt a miniature.... too bloody long apparently 😂

    Looking good old chap... regardless of the time involved...

    Have a splendid Christmas and New Year...

    All the best. Aly

    I wonder if anyone has been panic buying French Cheese ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. Strangely cheese was the one major disappointment I can recall from where we lived in France. 100’s of different varieties...and they all tasted broadly the same! Hope nobody’s been stocking up on it...toilet roll and tinned fruit will be a much better investment.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas! I went through this timing exercise long ago and have forgotten the results. Maybe I should try again? Your stakes look wicked. I have been pondering a WotR project of late and you are no help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the stakes Jonathan! It’s strange that I’ve been painting miniatures all these years and had never taken the trouble to find out how long it took. There was obviously a sub conscious part of me that didn’t really want to know....lol. Not an exercise I shall be repeating an6 time soon. Have a great Xmas mate.

      Delete
  6. Can't say I'll be copying you in the whole timing thing, it would only be depressing, I know when I tried 15mm(long ago) it took just as long as 25mm! Have a great Christmas!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t blame you Ian, have a great Christmas yourself!

      Delete
  7. Nice looking units, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, that’s kind of you. Cheers for dropping by.

      Delete
    2. PS - shame I never met any of you guys when I lived in France! There didn’t appear to be any gamers in the Creuse, just farmers, lol.

      Delete