Sunday 10 January 2021

Who knew?

The current Mrs Broom (TCMB) had cause recently to castigate me about only being able to do one thing at a time, and, to be fair, she might have a point. Slow and methodical has been my approach to most things in life and that has certainly been evident in my wargaming. Construct two armies, grind, grind, create terrain, grind, grind, destroy anything not deemed “just right”... then rinse and repeat with the same armies in a different scale. 

Not for me the heady skipping between genres or multiple historical periods, nor yet the giddy dabbling in half finished projects. I can guarantee there is not one goblin horde or incomplete panzer grenadier platoon lurking in my cupboards, no sireee Bob.

Of course sticking to what you know (dark ages and 17th century) becomes a little “samey” and turns you (almost inevitably) into a bit of a know it all. Some of that became evident in my previous blog and my unhappiness with this played no little part in its eventual demise.

Realising how little I knew about so many other potentially fascinating periods of warfare and recalling how much “fun” (apologies for using the “F” word) I had in researching my single “off piste” adventure with the Dutch East Indies piracy campaign I resolved to go nuts and start branching out - boldly going where no broom has gone before. 

The result has been a Christmas blizzard of new books and some very enjoyable “well I never knew that” moments which I have bombarded TCMB with in an effort to entertain and amuse.  (I know she was entertained and amused because she rolled her eyes and sighed - as she always does when I wittily expound at length on something of interest).

Anywhoo...

Did you know that a medieval arrow required three pinion feathers from a goose, who typically had / has three on each wing? (Don’t worry they grow again in their annual moult). Given that one goose could only provide two arrows a year, how many must have been needed to provide for something like the arrow expenditure at Agincourt? 

I cannot believe that my view of medieval England has been so wrong for all these years. Clearly every nook and cranny in the country must have been stuffed with geese! Who knew?! I have to wonder how Shakespeare’s plays ever got heard above all that continual background honking?

Also, now I come to think of it, our forebears clearly missed a trick here. Given how scary and vicious the geese are in our local park they shouldn’t have bothered with the arrows, they could have defeated the French just by herding the excess geese in their direction.


An angry goose I met yesterday - whose stance suggests I might’ve spilled his pint.

Food for thought eh?!

Oh yes, and this just in... Robert the Bruce was of Norman stock! The original family name was de Brus.

Are you rolling your eyes in delight and amusement yet?

22 comments:

  1. Would it be possible, giving the demands of say ... Agincourt, to use ‘any old feather’? Or are these feathers critical to military ‘needs’?

    The angry goose looks like every goose that I have ever seen .... angry! We used to visit a wildlife centre that had a pair (not UK native I believe) that would run towards the caging in attack stance as soon as anyone came within 50 feet. That must have become very tiring! But thank goodness for wire barriers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, I’m going to have to do a bit more research on the feathers front I think. It’s an important point. Do you actually NEED goose feathers or would a chickens do? I think we should be told. The scariest bird I’ve ever come across, apart from an Emu at Twycross (and of course the current Mrs Broom), was an enormous 16 kilo turkey I had to kill for dinner two Christmases ago. Even though It was me that went into the shed holding the axe I wasn’t sure if it was going to be him or me that came out afterwards. Put me right off eating meat for a while!

      Delete
    2. Emus are fine and only one of my friends has had her wrist broken by one.

      Of course you'd need to ignore the fact that they won a war against the full might of the Austalian army as well.

      Delete
    3. Say what now? You know I’m going to have to google that up. Emu’s versus the Australian army!? I sense a wargame scenario’s here. I’m surprised and disappointed that you’ve not gamed this one out for us already...lol.

      Delete
    4. Emu wars war game... 😁

      https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/2020/05/through-fence-and-defenceto-wheat.html

      Delete
    5. I think we have Warlord Games’ next release right there...God knows they’ve covered every other ruddy genre!

      Delete
    6. Thanks Aly - a fantastic link!

      Ganesha Games' 'Palaeo Diet' with the Pulp expansion would work well for the Emu wars as well, and I can't believe that I didn't think of it until now. Also I need some 15mm emus ...

      Delete
    7. Knew that’d be right up your street!

      Delete
    8. Part of my adoptive country's proud military history :-D

      Delete
  2. Yes geese...
    I think it’s because they have realised that they taste nice...
    Back when I used to walk to work, I often went along the canal... I was always very nervous when the geese were in town... it felt like you were in a remake of the birds 😱
    I think ‘The Bruce’ also fought for the English as well... I must be about time someone made an over hyped inaccurate second rate film about ...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aly, love the film idea, especially if the lead characters are allowed to creatively interpret a Scottish accent...lol. Not sure what it is with geese and aggro, they do always seem to be looking for a fight. One of nature’s enduring mysteries, like what are wasps actually for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A reply to my reply. Mmmm. TCMB has just advised me that wasps were created to spoil picnics...

      So that’s that one answered.

      Delete
  4. Well What's good for the goose is good for the gander as my old Nan used to say, although I never really understood what she meant. Anyway, that's something new I have learned re the feathers, I'll wait for the right moment to impress my wife with that one. Hope things are good in the cheese factory and that you are still finding time to paint some figures. Looking forward to where this takes us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lee, yeah still bashing away at those WOTR chaps. Slow but steady I think is the way to describe progress! I find that militaria “facts” are always a good way to impress women - so prepare to sweep your good lady off her feet with this stuff. Lol. No cheese work at the mo...it seems the dairy is full of THE COVID. I’m staying well away!

      Delete
  5. An interesting post as I've found I need a variety of periods to game to break up the monotony of say linear warfare, WWI combined arms etc. This allows me to flit between periods as I see fit which is fun.

    As for goose feathers, they are much thicker and stronger than chicken ones. As I've done field archery, I was surprised that the feathers were in fact real and not artificial, as they do not seem real until your are shown them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go then, it’s official, goose feathers were the thing to use. Can’t argue with actual experience. Bet you couldn’t even sit down in medieval England without having to move a goose off your chair. Lol.

      Delete
  6. Aah yes the de Brus family one of the Norman cronies that received lands from the harrowing of the North.
    Had a castle in Skelton ( Cleveland) where I lived and was responsible for Gusiborough priory here’s the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_de_Brus,_1st_Lord_of_Annandale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Graham, most interesting. Bet he was a right b*****d.

      Delete
  7. Tremendous focus, sticking to one or two periods, I've got too many! Bruce was born in Tottenham, north London, plastic scot? Opportunistic Norman git? Surely not!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, a case of Rod Stewart syndrome then, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robert the Bruce may very well have had a dodgy provenance as far as being a Scot goes, but he did actually beat the English and usher in a period of Scottish independence, unlike William Wallace, who seems to get most of the glory but lost most of his battles and ended up betrayed and executed ...in a particularly unpleasant manner, as was relatively common back in the 13th century! (AND Robert the Bruce used to be on Clydesdale Bank £1 notes back in the day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ross, thanks for dropping by and adding a bit of historical balance to the discussion... kudos to the Bruce then for Scottish independence AND the bank note thingy.

      Delete