Saturday 15 January 2022

It's Trek Jim, but not as we know it

I know that this blogs regular readership are unlikely to be interested in Star Trek, and as a consequence this latest post may elicit little more than a yawn and a click of the mouse to take them elsewhere. To those that keep reading, thanks for bearing with me. 

I've always been a huge fan of the Star Trek franchise and for many years I've had a fancy to game out a couple of scenes from my favourite Trek movie, namely 1996's First Contact. 

My recent acquisition of miniatures from Modipheus coupled with  some starship deck tiles from Games Workshop's Space Hulk have allowed me to mash it all together and create...well...Trek Hulk. Lol. 

The original GW rules architecture needed a little tweaking to match the different protagonists, but for the few that are curious or want to have a go themselves my suggestions are in the home-brew rules tab up on the top right of the blog page.

In the hopes of providing a little context, here's a clip of Captain Picard's attempt to regain control of main engineering after a Borg incursion on the Enterprise.

The GW ship deck tiles are fantastic quality and while they don't look very  Federation they do look sort of Borgish. 

I've now run two games based on a Starfleet Away Team fighting in a Borgified environment and I thought I'd present the results here in Broom Battle Picture Library format (just loads of pics with relevant rules info very briefly explained underneath).

Even if Trek's not your thing, I hope you enjoy the gaming aspect.

Scenario 1. We come in peace...shoot to kill.

It's Stardate 50893.5 and the USS Cousteau has intercepted a small Borg reconnaissance vessel. Worried about what it might have transmitted back to the collective, the Cousteau's Captain sends an Away Team to download the communications log from the enemy ships data core.

The map:

Deck 16 of the Borg recon vessel. Computer core in the far room, Borg regeneration alcoves (grey pads) and the Away Team beam in site (room at the bottom of the picture).

Turns out that a 23rd Century Borg data node looks very much like an upside down empty Epson black ink cartridge. Weird that.

Starfleet:

4 Person Away Team:

Cmdr Tamara Castille - Human female (Command - Phaser, Tricorder)

Ensign Ginsella - Denobulan female (Security - Phaser rifle)

Lt Posc - Denobulan male (Medical - Phaser, Tricorder, 2 x shots of anti assimilation nano bots)

Lt Cmdr Sorik - Vulcan male (Science, Phaser, Tricorder)


Lt Cmdr Sorik, Lt Posc, Cmdr Castille, Ensign Ginsella - locked and loaded. Ooh look - the Borg in the background are waving!

Time clock - 10 turns

Borg automatic trigger point - turn 5

Automatic beam out - Information downloaded or when 2 away team members have been assimilated.

Special weapons - none.

Borg:

6 Drones in regeneration alcoves

2 Drones in corridor computer alcoves

2 Drones in outer edge corridors (must be 10 squares or more from beam in site). 

No force fields in play since vessel is damaged.

Victory conditions:

Starfleet win if the communication logs are downloaded from the Borg data hub. The Borg win if the Starfleet away team are forced to beam out without the information (i.e. run out of time or suffer two assimilations). 

The away team have to start in adjacent squares when they beam in. The game count down clock is a series of TTS numbered chits from 1-10. (Centre of table). The Borg will remain indifferent to the Away Teams presence as long as they don’t move more than three squares per turn, don’t fire weapons, don’t block Borg Drone movement and don’t interact with the objective. The orange counter in the middle of the count down clock is the point at which the Borg automatically become alarmed and turn hostile - whatever the Away Team do. Adding another team member to the initial 4 causes the Borg to become automatically hostile 1 turn earlier, and deducting a team member allows the Starfleet personnel to gain an extra turn before this happens…

Resistance is futile. You will adapt to service us.

Since I’m pretty sure you’ve already had more Trek than you can cope with - I’ll give you the “deets” of the game itself in the next post.

I bet you can hardly wait. Lol.

Toodle oooh


24 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with a little diversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I seem to be taking quite a few at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff. More of an original series man myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks matey. Treks a bit like marmite (except you can’t spread it on your sandwiches). I love all Star Trek including the original series, but I’m not so keen on Voyager or the new Discovery. I think you’d like Strange New Worlds when it comes out this year though.

      Delete
  3. I have had a ton of fun with space hulk and this with its personalised characters looks like that and more …… plus the Borg scare me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first “wargame” that my kids and I could play with minimal painting and maximum enjoyment. And yeah the Borg scare me too!

      Delete
  4. All I can say is….Make it so….

    Live long and prosper,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we may be of a similar mind in respect of gaming JBM! Although I am not an adult fan of Star Trek (I don't think I have watched any of the films or new series) I did watch the original back in the early seventies as a prepubescent lad. This scale of game, the simplicity of the set up, minimal terrain, a few figures and sixty to ninety minutes duration is more and more appealing to me. Looking forward to seeing what eventuates....like the fact the two of the Fed Crew are ladies too😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate, one game took 40 minutes and the other 50 so fairly wham bam thank you mam. There was more to consider when playing than the original Space Hulk, but great fun was had. The Current Mrs Broom, who likes the odd game of zombiecide seems interested in having a go, attracted I think by the simple mechanics and easy set up.

      Delete
    2. Well that is a definite bonus....I seem to recall a comment from you the The Current Mrs Broom views the hobby as childish...at best. Sounds like she has mellowed somewhat....or it's a different Mrs Broom.... ?!

      Delete
    3. Nah, it’s been the same Mrs Broom for the last 38 years. She approaches my hobby with what I’d describe as tolerant amusement though to be fair I feel the same way about her crochet addiction. Lol. Man that girl loves wool. I may have over egged her dismissiveness a bit in the past to enhance my own self deprecating humour.

      Delete
  6. What fun, and repurposing the space hulk tiles works well. Resistance is futile, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, glad you like the look of it. As you say it’s a great way to re use materials that otherwise would have been languishing in the loft. Though I’m not a big fan of GW I did have some fun with Space Hulk back in the day - and the quality of their products seems universally good.

      Delete
  7. The original star Trek was essential viewing as a kid and IIRC, was on just after our evening meal. The newer series never really grabbed but Picard and the Borg were great. The later never 'scared' me, rather like the Daleks didn't either. My brother on the other hand used to hide behind the sofa. I just thought they were so cool!

    Space Hulk is one of those games that I never got round to playing, but keeps piquing my interest. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve, Space Hulk is very much a beer and pretzels type of game, as our American cousins say, but is good fun and easy to pick up for gaming newbies.

    Picard is definitely my favourite Trek Captain and one day when I grow up I hope to be like him. Lol. Actually now the old Barnet has started to thin I might be closer to that goal than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid Stuff JBM…
    Space Hulk is a good old box load of stuff… I gave my copy away to a friends son… he was nearly crushed by the weight of it…
    It’s a dungeon bash in space…
    Your Star Trek reboot looks like it will be a lot of fun…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, it certainly was a big old box of stuff and definitely worth the money back in the day. My good mate Mr Crook is sending me some 3D scenery stuff to flesh future games out a bit and I might well make my own “Starfleet” tiles out of foam core to better represent federation ships. We’ll see.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Hey Skallagrim thanks for dropping by. Cheers for the positive vibes too. The next post will be on the same subject so check back again if you get a mo.

      Delete
  11. Nothing wrong with a bit of Trek. Amongst other interesting stuff it promoted a different view of how we should interact with different races rather than being a cowboy movie set in space. Space Hulk although simple does repay proper tactics of cover and movement and the deployment of the right weapon systems for a particular job from what I recall. Plus those Borg figures are rather tasty. I note yours don't seem to have the cable management issues the TV and film versions do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi mate, you’re not wrong on the tactics issue and I got it wrong from the start on this mission. As you note, not so many loops of unnecessary tubing on this bunch either. Must be hard to be menacing when you keep getting snagged on the furniture. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a fun game and good if you can attract new recruits!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Iain I know this isn’t really your bag, but yes, it might generate a bit more blog interest and certainly scratches one of my gaming itches.

      Delete