Saturday 23 April 2022

Show and tell

Greetings pop pickers…

I’ve been doubling up on shifts at the dairy for the last few weeks in an attempt to add to the moving house fund. Sadly two 12 hour shifts a week hauling 30 tons of Mozzarella tends to leave me in a semi comatose state. Instead of beavering away each evening, brush in hand, I’m more likely to be found propped up on the sofa, staring blankly at the idiot lantern, while dribble runs down my chin. 

However…

In a few spare hours of relative lucidity, (when I’ve not been in traction) I have managed to make some progress with my British revolution / 1926 General Strike project, so I thought I’d share a few piccies on the blog. 

I’ve long been an admirer of Norms Tigers at Minsk rules and was considering using them for some WW2 hexed terrain stuff when I decided to co opt them for my version of A Very British Civil War instead. 

Set in 1926 rather than 1938, the catalyst for conflict becomes the General Strike rather than the abdication crisis and consequently late First World War figures and vehicles fit the bill nicely. Scale was dictated by figure variety,  availability, and cost, with Pendraken’s excellent First World War and interwar ranges in 10mm providing everything I’m ever going to need. 

The units are all six figure “sections / squads” in a broadly 1:2 ratio with vehicles represented at 1:1. 

Up first are this bunch from the OMS.

In 1925 the British Government had its first confrontation with the Unions when Miners working hours were increased and their wages cut. Realising they were not ready for the threatened industrial action a time limited pay off allowed the Government to make preparations for further trouble. That year an advert in the conservative press called for volunteers to enable the maintenance of essential supplies in the event of nationwide strikes. The Organisation for the Maintenance of Supply was duly born. The almost exclusively white collar middle class volunteers would be expected to drive busses unload ship’s cargo etc and generally fill the gaps left by workers who’d withdrawn their labour. Given the social demographic from which the OMS members were drawn it’s not unsurprising that  some admirers of the newly emerging Italian influenced Fascist movement soon sought to infiltrate it. Though members of organisations like the British Fascisti (see the earlier “not dead just resting post”) were required to formally renounce their membership before joining the OMS several notable figures still ended up in control of OMS regional branches. In my timeline, clashes between striking workers and the OMS cause both sides to quickly, and illegally, arm themselves. The fellows depicted above are OMS civilians sporting their distinctive (and totally made up) white armbands as an identifier.

Then of course there’s the Rozzers.

The dear old British Bobby was often placed in the invidious position of attempting to maintain law and order in a none partisan fashion. Churchill actually wanted to arm both the police and soldiers if called on to guard essential supplies but was overruled on the matter by Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin. In my timeline both forces were armed when trouble from riotous mobs began to escalate.

The British Governments most reliable strike breakers were expected to be the military. With organisation, manpower and discipline they would be expected to step in if and when things threatened to spiral out of control.

A platoon of regulars, primed for action with the Lewis gun section top left. I plan to give bases armed with that weapon the higher firepower “panzer grenadier” stats from TaM.

During the breakdown of normal law and order the chaps below might well have appeared on either side:

Sailors from HMS Drummond docked in Liverpool. Depending on the scenario they could easily represent Government forces or mutinous matelots put ashore by worried officers. 

In my alternate timeline, escalating violence around the London Docks sees soldiers deployed and orders given to shoot at rioters. Some units refuse to comply with this command and the men involved are duly arrested. Suspecting there might be further instances like this soldiers sailors and airmen begin to desert their posts in droves.

Effectively finding themselves on the run many deserters band together, receiving food and lodging from strike committees in exchange for protection. Later formalised and reorganised as the Workers Defence Force, the chaps below are shown wearing their distinctive red armbands.

A WDF platoon with Lewis gun section on the left. The majority of WDF forces wear greatcoats and caps in the field.

Finally (for the moment) we have the provisional wing of the Revolutionary Workers Collective - small groups of non hierarchical unionised militia tasked with the defence of their parent factory and its immediate surroundings. 

British Small Arms factory comrades from Smallheath in Birmingham readying themselves to give the OMS fascists what for.

I still have a large number of units to paint up, but since they get done surprisingly quickly, I’m hopeful of playing a few games with them in the not too distant future. Units still to come include yeomanry cavalry, forward observers, commanders, motorcycle and side car scouts, mortars, field guns, Vickers MG’s, armoured lorries, London busses, a traction engined steam roller, Mark V tank, Whippet tank, Vickers Mk2 tank, birch gun, AA truck etc etc. 

Originally I’d intended to do a structured campaign but I’m now leaning towards a series of smaller vignette type scenarios that just tell bits of the story in this imaginary clash between the left and right. I suspect it’ll end up as a bit of a mash up between back of beyond and a very British civil war. 

Special thanks must go to Norm for kindly coming up with stats for the main armoured vehicles I’ll be using.

And finally…

Apropos of absolutely nothing here’s a picture of something else I’ve been working on recently while fiddling around with Victorian submarine warfare rules. It’s amazing what you can make from a load of old crap isn’t it?!

The Plongeur…still under construction. 

Toodleooh for now!





21 comments:

  1. Hello there JBM,

    Blimey old chap! You seem to have been very busy and the figures look lovely! The General Strike would lead into the 1929 economic crash which would also contribute to the degree of social discontent.

    I suggest a unit of Downton Abbey Fencibles - no one would dare cross Maggie Smith!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I do seem to have crammed a bit in don’t I. I took Norms recent radio silence to heart a bit and got a lot more done than usual when I didn’t bother to do a mid month post. Might limit myself to just two a month from here on in I think.

      Delete
  2. Looking good and a nice background narrative too. I seem to recall (not personally I add) the Army being sent into Glasgow about this time to deal with strikers lead by the redoubtable Manny Shinwell. There was a real 'Red Panic' in the wake of the Russian revolution with anyone even vaguely in favour of worker's rights being suspected of being a dangerous Bolshevik. So your scenario is entirely credible.

    I'm rather taken with the submersible too is the screw for attaching to passing ships or for sinking them? Either way Leonard of Quirm would be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks for the Glasgow reference Elenderil I’ll be off to look that up in a bit. My googlefoo is strong tonight. The screw on the sub is for boring into the hull of enemy ships. Once affixed it is detached and a mine attached to its base detonated via a good long length of friction cord. I consider it a one shot weapon that’s only replaceable in port.

      Delete
  3. Cracking stuff JBM…
    Will we see a colliery brass band? 😁

    Do you like Mozzarella?

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can point me to someone who makes them in 10mm Aly then I’ll fire off an order for them!

      Mozzarella… I hate it with every fibre of my being! lol.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on the Pendraken figures! And a great looking campaign idea.
    Any "War of the Roses" scenarios where you need to capture the King?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God there are dozens of potential scenarios mate. King George V did express some support for the miners at the time, which surprised me. Politically he could have proved problematic to fascist or communist inspired factions I suppose. Definitely an idea under consideration.

      Delete
  5. My you have been busy old fruit. Inventive too. Don’t forget Roderick Spode’s Blackshorts.

    Are they all Pendraken figures? What range are the civilians from? SCW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate, thanks. The civilians are from the WW2 section and are resistance fighters, armed police (sea lion?) home guard and random packs of things like men with shotguns. They’ve quite a range of options. Some of the vehicles like the holt tractor are delightfully odd. Not sure how I’m going to use a traction engine road roller, but I got one anyway. The other great thing is that 10mm is compatible with N gauge railway modelling stuff so plenty of cheapo terraced houses will be coming my way shortly.

      Delete
  6. This looks like it will be a fun campaign and does not seem at all far fetched - probably much less so than the more usual 1938 Fascist version of VBCW if I am totally honest. There was a bit of a history of using troops to break up strikes in the first few decades of the twentieth century, so your background story is very believable. BTW, Pendraken make a 10mm marching band - code FPX5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly gives me plenty of scope for inventiveness and I do like a good story as much as playing the games. Thanks for the tip about the marching band I shall include it in my next order though I’ve no idea what I’ll use them for (they look great though).

      Delete
  7. You have been a busy man both at work and home. That is a great insight into your plans and as always you have depth and structure to the project. I’d never thought of Pendraken for this period and looking at what you’ve done so far it seems to fit really well. Some themed scenarios before working on a campaign would be ideal and take the pressure off having to plan and prep one.
    Seems like Norm has caused a few waves in making us think about time spent!
    Let’s hope the Mozzarella shifting is adding to that fund for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Graham, the Pendraken range is really comprehensive and not one I’d really looked at before, Norm suggested the company if I was going to do WW2 with hexon…and one thing sort of led to another!

      Delete
  8. Looks like you've been pretty productive to me! Nice work, although work sounds a bit rubbish! I don't worry too much about posting, it's whenever it happens!
    Cheers Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, works not really something I needed to do anymore so I would only go to the dairy once in a blue moon, (more to get me out of the house than anything) now however that extra income will help with the costs involved in any future house move so it’s worth putting up with in the short term.

      Delete
  9. Worth shifting all that cheese JBM if it helps towards your planned escape from these lands, that plus the fact that I do enjoy a bit of Mozzarella. New project coming along well with plenty of variety and the 'plongeur' is delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, I sincerely hope that the Mozzarella you enjoy is not something that’s come out of the factory in Newcastle Emlyn. I’d rather eat candle wax - though to be honest that’s probably better for you, lol. Glad you like the sub, it’s a bit of a distraction really but it’s fun building things and letting the imagination run riot.

      Delete
  10. I love the whole ABCW milieu and the fun that can be had coming up with forces, materiel etc. The possibilites are almost endless. Love the submarine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, yeah I think the Strike things going to work out really well, I’ve a number of quite interesting vehicles coming up so I’m looking forward to getting them done. 10mm is just big enough to get decent detail on the figures, and just small enough to be able to knock out a load of units pdq.

      Delete
  11. Diversified and beautiful minis here, and promising Plongeur!

    ReplyDelete