Sunday 8 May 2022

Blue on blue

Just a quick painting progress update this week.

A combination of catching Covid 19 and reduced blogging effort has seen a bit more progress than I’d expected on my interwar General Strike project, so I thought I’d share a few piccies. All minis are 10mm Pendraken.

A squad of British Fascists or “blue shirts” as the Daily Mail would refer to them (in my alternate timeline). Forces on the left soon began to call them “bennys” in mocking reference to their apeing of Benito Mussolini’s black shirts. Secretly armed and uniformed they eventually emerged as the militant wing of the Organisation for the Maintenance of Supply.

Note: The Irish and Spanish fascists of this period had blue shirts. Like all “good” fascists my chaps wear identifying  armbands. White for the OMS overlaid with a black central stripe and an embroidered branch name. (Smethwick in this case). The ice cream salesman hats have a black felt square on the front with a silver empire roaring lion badge. Anti Semitism had yet to rear its ugly head - these early fascists being all about the Empire and the establishment of a corporatist state. Think Scouts with a Lewis gun.

Two 4.5 inch howitzers without obvious factional affiliation (so I can get more use out of them). A very popular weapon that according to Wikipedia even saw early WW2 service.


Two command stands (one per side). They can be either command or they can double up as forward observers at a pinch. Sorry about the Dandelion seed blowing past (left).


Same boys from the back in order to show off the radio’s. These are from Pendrakens WW2 range but radios were actually being used in the mid 20’s army despite being clumsy and unreliable.


Vickers HMG and a mortar team. One per side at the moment, though playing on a 3x3 board I can’t think I’ll need any more than that.


Another squad of matelots - two in total now, for a bit of variety. This bunch have an officer or senior rating amongst them. 



Angry pro government middle class members of the OMS with their white armbands and assorted shotguns. Pretty good at writing letters to the editor of the Times, not so good as it turns out at blue collar work. If only the proles could just do as they’re told. 

I’m currently finishing off two cavalrymen and a motorcycle with sidecar combination for recon work. Next on the blocks will be 12 jock infantry though I’ll need to do a bit of experimentation with painting kilts. Wish someone made a tartan paint, lol. 

I should be onto vehicles within a week or so, and boy have I got some weird and wonderful looking things to assemble and paint up. I think you’ll like them.

Lastly for this post, an unexpected advantage to 10mm figures is their comparability with railway N gauge scenery. Nissan huts in cardboard are just part of a massive range of interesting (and cheap) buildings I’ve got on order. 


Nissan hut. I’ve always thought of them as a WW2 thing but they were first produced in 1916, so entirely applicable to 1926.


Toodleooh for now.



22 comments:

  1. Ah! So you got into the Covid thing… I’m not surprised…. It’s what all of us truly hip kids have been doing recently… I hope it wasn’t too ‘gnarly’ for you…

    Great looking toys and I love the back stories…

    However on zooming into the photos of the Blue Shirts I noticed that you had misspelled Smethwick a couple of times…😜

    Oh! And I’m sure you already know this… apparently Smethwick is among the top ten safest medium sized towns in the West Midlands…
    And also the 21st most dangerous overall out of 44 West Midlands towns…
    This is stuff we need to know 😂😂😂….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Aly, you’re only right! I’ll have to correct that spelling mistake straight away…lol. I lived in Smethwick once. It’s not an experience I’d care to repeat nowadays. It used to be a hotbed of fascism in the 20s and 30s by the way.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you have had the dreaded bot but every cloud has a silver lining...in this case, more painted figures! I may soon get to join the "Covid cool kids club", as my wife now has it, post our trip to Queenstown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God I hope you avoid it, it was like the worst flu I’ve ever had. Not nice mate. Hope your missus gets over it quickly.

      Delete
    2. I avoided it and she got over it with not a great deal of trouble....fortunately, she got the mild version!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you are feeling better JBM. Those figures are really rather nice enough so that I could be easily tempted. I especially like the guys in civvies. When I was thinking (yes it does happen) about the VBCW scenario I was sticking with the 1930's timeframe but it will work just as well in the era of the General Strike. Must...resist...temptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elenderil, yeah it was the civvies that did it for me. The scale helps too. One man’s WW2 French resistance fighter in an Adrian helmet is just as easily a miner in a miners helmet when the figures are nice and small. The clincher was definitely the armed policemen for some reason…

      Delete
  4. Excellent stuff! Puts me in mind of the excellent Winter of ‘79 blog.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, I’m having a real problem leaving comments on your blog at the mo. - not sure why?! Winter of 79 also doable with Pendraken 10mm (see their Falklands range - I should be on commission). Lots of Land Rovers and SLR’s.

      Delete
    2. Your last comment came through OK. Still having problems commenting myself. Even on my own blog!
      Chris/Nundanket

      Delete
  5. I am glad you got through COVID relatively unscathed. It can be very nasty.
    Figures are lovely! You do a great job on those Pendraken minis. I have some of those same packs and cant do them half as well.
    OMS sounds ominous :) (sorry couldn't help myself)
    The amount of scenery available for 10mm scale is what got me hooked on them and now that is my go to scale. Where did the Nissan huts come from? I may have to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ben, the Nissan huts are made by a company called Metcalfe Models and most railway model shops seem to stock it in one form or another. The Covid is now done and dusted, thankfully, but while I was feeling crap I had a good long read (and laugh) at the posts on your blog. You’ve got a great sense of the absurd! As to the Pendraken miniatures I’d have probably struggled with them if I’d come to the scale from something like 28mm but I’ve already spent a good deal of time on 6mm and 2mm which is a good grounding for « fiddly » stuff.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. I have a few Metcalfe models but had not seen the Nissan hut so will look for it at the hobby shop. Glad my blog helped you through your recovery. :) Very kind words. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about the Covid thing but hope you're all OK now? the figures look great and funnily enough I based a load of very similar ones last week for some more AVBCW reinforcements for a planned Autumn campaign. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve, yeah I’m much better now thanks!

      I shall be interested to see what you do with the Pendraken minis. I can’t decide whether to do a campaign or just a series of loosely linked games. What’ve you got in mind for yours?

      Delete
    2. The narrative campaign will be very similar to my recent Operation Cygnet outing with BKCII. I'm not sure whether to use OS Maps, make my own or go with the Warplan 5/5 that have worked well in the past. Plenty of time yet to figure this part out.

      Delete
  7. Some very nice looking units, I particularly like the angry pro government middle class members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I might have been in the workers militia. I’ve never been able to bring myself to read the Daily Heil, sorry, Mail.

      Delete
  8. Lovely mix of figures, glad you're over the covid thing, nasty stuff I like the look of the nissen hut, it's funny that the Irish fascist blue shirts are now the rather more Conservative of the two parties that usually runs the Republic!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Iain, Irish politics eh, still none sense after all these years!

      Delete
  9. Hi JBM, really sorry to read that you had the dreaded Lurgy, especially at this stage, but I'm hearing of an awful lot of people catching it recently. Figures all looking great though, very nice those little Pendrakens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah a lot round our way have come down with what’s is / was a milder version of original Covid. Teach me to go and mix with actual people at the dairy…lol. Although I never intended to start them I’ve really enjoyed painting these little chaps - just a tad easier than 6 or 15mm for some reason.

    ReplyDelete