Saturday 11 February 2023

Mud blood and STEAL

Yup, not an original idea in my head.

Cursed as I am, with clumsy hands of death, I usually spend 30 seconds moving a unit into a wood and five minutes standing all the trees up again, so it was a bit of a boon when I came across this tree basing system used by the guys over at LittlewarsTV.

Two packs of rubber slot together kids play tiles (which sit snug in the base of my new table) and a box of pins later and… voila.

Kids rubber play mats, which the trees are pinned into.

The extra tiles I’ve had left over now serve as contoured terrain under the game mat with the advantage that I can pin trees upright, even on slopes.

A unit of Gallowglass in the woods…looking for the teddy bears pique-nique no doubt.

Not only without an original thought in my head, but also happy to jump on the « everybody else seems to be doing it » bandwagon. Here’s a quick piccie of my painting desk.

Where the « magic » happens. Lol. For those with an inquiring mind we have from left to right… a regiment of Continental infantry on bottle tops undercoated grey and inked with nuln oil, a tray of pre chosen paints for the continentals (which get moved out of the tray as they are used), reproduction Anglo Saxon beaker holding my dwindling supply of crappy brushes, operation tree pin, and a small bronze statue of Ing. Or as we call him, Ing and his Thing (Pre Christian pan European deity). The troughs you can see through the window are former cattle feeders that’ll soon be planters when the weather improves.

Okay that’s quite enough show and tell for one day. Catch you on the flip side dudes.



15 comments:

  1. I'm off the pace with this fashion. Looks a good idea. I often look at those mats when they are in the Middle of Lidl or the Aisle at Aldi: they look useful but I could never figure out how.
    I note the Swedish desk. That grey top looks smart with the cutting mat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very disappointed. I give you a glimpse of a pre Christian fertility idol to mock…or maybe speculate about me being in some sort of secret sex cult…and you note that the grey work top looks smart. Sheesh dude. I’m never going to earn any blogging notoriety at this rate.

      Delete
    2. In his defense; you can’t really see Ing or his thing in the picture. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  2. The trees look great … but can you claim that no mat was hurt during the making of this movie!

    How did you get the pins into the trunk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I suspect the mat has been less hurt than I was. Most of the pins ended up stuck in me before they were fixed into the tree trunks. Lol. Method used was cut head off pin then super glue it into a pre drilled hole in the tree trunk, leaving less than 10mm sticking out, (since that’s how thick the mat is). Easy peasy.

      Delete
  3. That is a really cool idea re the trees, even if it originated in some museum in the nineteen twenties and has been pinched and reused by a thousand people since! The desk looks very clean and tidy but of course you have only recently moved into the new abode ...I give it a year....πŸ˜‚
    I can't really see Ings "thing" so it's obviously not that impressive, unlike the enormous phallic symbolism of Maori carvings one see over this way....primitive man really was obsessed with the size of it....so in essence, we haven't really progressed very much!πŸ”¬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly looked up Māori phallic art on Google, but realised it would take some explanation if the wife saw it.

      Delete
  4. I saw that tree technique as well. I think it would really well with like 28mm skirmish where one miniature equals one man.
    That is the NEATEST hobby desk I have ever seen. Now I have high expectations of you being organized and focused.
    My kitchen table isn’t that clean. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to tell you Stew but that desk is the worst it’s been for some weeks. A strict clear up is required.

      Delete
  5. Great stealing JBM!
    Flash looking painting desk with natural light. Well done!
    I want no truck with fertility idols! I have four kids already and that's enough 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four kids! Ye gods man, how do you find any hobby time, lol.

      Delete
  6. Smart isea, well stolen, very neat table, couldn't really catch Ing?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God Iain, once seen - Ing is never forgotten. Lol.

      Delete
  7. A very tidy desk indeed JBM…
    I always start with the idea that I will keep things nice and tidy and have lots of space to put toys on… then I start painting and forget all my good intentions.
    It’s a shame Ing and his thing can’t be posed in such a way that he could hold a paintbrush 😳

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Aly, it sort of looks like he’s holding a paintbrush if you know what I mean ;-)

      Delete