Saturday 29 April 2023

1926 and all that.

Look; this blogging and solo gaming thing…it’s just not working out. I’m sorry…I really am…but over the last few weeks I’ve been… I’ve been…seeing other people. 

Yes that’s right I’ve gone from Mr Billy No Mates solo wargamer to international gamer de jour. You name a continent or a time period and I’ve been there, pushing lead around like nobodies business. (Well okay just North America…but it is a big place so I’m sort of counting it as at least two).

The AWI painting has slowed a bit because of these commitments but the enthusiasm is still there and progress is still being made on my second batch of Continentals. Slowly slowly catch a monkey and all that.

What I did end up doing, despite my giddy social whirl, was set up another of my 1926 General Strike games on the premise of trying them with Mr Lambshead’s skirmish rules rather than Norm’s excellent Tigers at Minsk ones. The rules are entirely playing card driven and if you consider swapping one individual soldier (as per the rules) for a base of soldiers it sort of works. 

The scenario:

The general strike has now been on for five weeks and the wheels are beginning to come off of HM Governments response to it. With the majority of the armed forces proving unreliable the Prime Minister has begun to rely more and more on that other army of concerned citizens - the Organisation for the Maintenance of Supply - and their proto fascist militant wing.

With pressure increasing on the strikers in Birmingham the armed militants in the Free City of Liverpool have begun sending small conveys of arms and ammunition to aid their midland comrades.

One such convey is heading down the A41 towards Wolverhampton when it is intercepted by the OMS.

The workers revolutionary defence force will achieve a victory if they get their lorry full of ammo off the southern road edge. The forces of repression (sorry the OMS) will achieve a victory by capturing or destroying the self same truck.

The forces of repression: From left to right - A Squadra of blue shirts, Carlotta the armoured car donated by Il Duce, two squads of OMS armed volunteers (The Rotary Club Fencibles - as they are derisively known) and a squad of Inspector Knacker’s K Division coppers with Edgar the traction engine.

And here’s the opposition.

A nice bunch of lads having a jolly day out. Two squads of Workers Revolutionary Militia with their “transports”, a twin turreted Austin armoured car and a natty little motorcycle combo. They’re the only thing that stands between the OMS and…

….a Fryco lorry stuffed full of explosives. Behind it is an ex army truck carrying a squad of former British Army soldiers (now wearing the red armband of the Workers Defence Force) and at the rear of the column is a Lanchester armoured car. 

Fortunately for the reds they also have eyes in the sky!

“B1” An Airco DH4 of the Birmingham Corporation Air Force, toting 4 x 20Ib cooper bombs and a bad attitude. 

These days I can leave the whole thing set up, so although I’ve run out of time today I can hopefully get the game played and an AAR posted here next week.

Toodleooh for now!



21 comments:

  1. Happy to see the motivation to paint and game is still carrying on Mark. Lovely to see those Pendraken Miniatures out and ready for action again:). Sadly both have been rather lacking for me of late, although I do have a little Nappies scenario set up to play tomorrow, all being well. Maybe that will get me back on track?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve, we all get those moments of ennui, and solo gamers more than most. I always back right off when painting starts to become a chore, and find it’s not too long before the old enthusiasm comes flooding back. Like most of us, you’ve no doubt been at this for years - you’ll be back at it full bore soon enough - especially if that Napoleonic game kickstarts things!

      Delete
  2. Having had the pleasure of Mr Freitag's gaming company, via Trebian's Monday Night Gamer's video links, I have to say that there are worse options for a virtual opponent (and few better ones). In these high tech days it's a valuable means to get some gaming in.

    I'm rather taken with the the look of the 1926 thing. Have you considered adding Comrade Shinwell's Glaswegian's into the mix it would allow for some games in the hills around Carlisle or further south (third Preston any body?).

    I shall await developments with baited breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you Sir! Have not seen you at Trebian's table in a very long time.

      Delete
    2. I cant help agreeing with you matey, I’ve been playing alongside gaming royalty this last few weeks! No travel, other peoples fantastic toys not to mention periods I could never get involved in in anything like a realistic time frame (or without considerable expense). Didn’t know you were doing this too. Maybe we’ll meet up one day across the table - which would be really cool.

      Delete
    3. Actually I do have some Scottish troops, so Comrade Shinwell might yet get an outing against them.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting scenario with all manner of equipment including an old tractor. Don't see one of those on the wargaming table often. Nifty DH4 too!

    One benefit of having a permanent wargaming table is that games can remain in situ for a long as needed.

    Good to see that you are enjoying the remote gaming scene. Getting you into the gaming rotation has been great fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon, the traction engine is a mobile road block and I was surprised to learn that the vénérable DH4 was still being used operationally up until the early 1930’s. Remote gaming is definitely the future - at least for me, so thanks for dragging me into the 21st century!

      Delete
  4. Well, look at you, JBM, international, jet setting wargamer of mystery; well, virtually, anyway! Glad you have been enjoying the remote gaming and I look forward to seeing how the 1926 game works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, not too much mystery about me really, given the things I’ve shared on this blog but I have to say the remote gaming concept has been a ruddy lifesaver. It’s really nice to be able to plan a game and leave it out until you get chance to actually play it. It would have been impossible in Wales in a small new house.

      Delete
  5. I like the odd byways that you travel. 1926, Martians v Victorians etc. Food for thought.
    Your round up of international wargaming conjures up visions of Callan v Schneider. Cravats and suits. The reality is you get teeshirted wallies in S W London who forget the time.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, a bit of variety keeps the hobby interest alive - though I wonder if it really appeals to my blog followers? It hasn’t helped that I sold a lot of stuff off and only kept what others wouldn’t want to buy, lol. I’m looking forward to getting the AWI completed mind you, and that’s probably more to most folks taste overall. As to T shirted wallies who forget the time, those’d be the same folk that rocked up late but saved the day when my militia were getting shot to pieces - if they’d care to repeat that process at every battle I’d be well chuffed.

      Delete
  6. Who’d have thought moving to France would have opened up so many opportunities, I blame Brexit ! I have to admit having a permanent gaming table is a godsend even if once in awhile you have to remove all the detritus that gathers on it. Great to see a return to 1926, I’m looking forward to the action

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, it is odd that it’s all taken off now I’m living in the back of beyond again. All to the good mind you. As to the table I’ve just had words with the current Mrs Broom for leaving books on it while a game is in progress. You can’t get the staff these days. Lol.

      Delete
  7. I suppose of the good things that have come out of the pandemic… the increase in virtual international and intercontinental travel has been one of them… I may not be playing virtual games but I am now in regular (FaceTime)contact with friends across the world .
    I love the 1926 toys… long live the revolution…. although I think your convoy needs a tea van…

    All the best. Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly, yeah it was one good thing to come out of the pandemic I suppose. It has been nice to put faces to names, though in Chris’s case it was a bit unnerving cos he looked remarkably like me! Must arrange for a paternity test. Lol.

      Delete
  8. I failed my knowledge check roll. What are we fighting about in 1926? but the models look really spiffy and i envy the ability to set up a game and leave it up forever.
    remote gaming certainly sounds like it's been great for you. I do think wargaming is more fun as a social activity (nothing against solo gamers). I'll need to try it out one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew it’s all a bit niche and counterfactual I’m afraid. There was a general strike in Britain in 1926. Elements within the British government of the time wanted to stamp it out by force. It became an early testing ground between communist ideology and proponents of corporate fascism (as had just been advocated by Mussolini in Italy). Lots of disaffected ex service men found themselves on both sides of the argument. It very, very, nearly turned out nasty but in my gaming it went full on sideways and devolved into a civil war. There. Bet you wished you hadn’t asked now!

      Delete
    2. Ummmm. Yes.
      Should of just pretended I knew all along. They stop teaching British history over here at year 1776. 😀

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to this one, when you can fit it in to your heavily booked social diary of course!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d best get it done before Wednesday night cos I’m back on duty in the Pacific North West again. Lol.

      Delete