Sunday 9 April 2023

Getting stoned in the garden

Welcome to issue number 73 in my continuing contentious blog post title series. I am sorry to keep having to resort to such crassness but the numbers don’t lie, (except when I’m your accountant that is), the most viewed post I ever did on my old blog, by a country mile, was the innocently titled « check out my junk » for some reason I’ve yet to discover.

Anywhoo, I’ve been putting in the hard yards over here in more ways than one just lately. AWI orders from Pendraken have been rolling in during the last couple of weeks and I’ve been painting as fast as my little brushes will allow. There’s now a sizeable backlog to work through but I’ve been getting my gaming fix via zoom so a lot of the usual distractions are being avoided. 

Speaking of zoom; what a delight. I’d recommend anyone that has the ability to take part to try it out. It’s been lovely for an old hermit like me to put the faces to names of people who’ve been commenting on here or the old blog for years. 

I’ll deal with the stoned bit in a mo but here’s a snapshot of some slightly out of focus miniatures progress.

Two regiments of 10mm AWI British infantry with a joint battalion of Grenadiers and Light bobs in the background.

Same troops, different angle.

First of the tax dodgers. The 2nd New Hampshire Continentals or as Stew thoughtfully corrected me, the Way Coolers.

God knows I’ve enough painting to do on my own gaff, without this load of real estate turning up from battle scale. 

Fortified positions for the forthcoming artillery and a white thingamabob which may or not be the USS Newton NCC 1727.

What? Oh the stoned thing. Yeah well the slightly less catchy blog title should really have been « getting some stones out of the garden » but I never let the facts get in the way of a good headline if I can help it. You see there was an old pig pen and yard that needed clearing from the back garden.  Didn’t realise when I started with my wheel barrow that the pile of stone was three metres high, three metres wide and four metres long.

Where’s a guy with a JCB when you need one?

So several prospective hernias later I’m nearly done, as you can see. Should have finished it off today but I went all 17th century on the Current Mrs Broom, and shouted « Woman, I labour not on ye sabbath! ». 

Wonder why my tea tastes funny?

Have a great Easter / Pรขques everyone.











23 comments:

  1. Your latest recruits look terrific, Mark! Keep 'em coming. Is all of the countryside in the photo your land? My, you will be busy with upkeep there.

    Drawing you into remote gaming has been an absolute pleasure. More to come, for sure, but I am reluctant to pull you away from domestic chores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I’m happy to report that my garden is a little less extensive than that! It ends with what’s left of the hedge line now that we’ve sold off a few bits we didn’t need or want. 2 hectares at the old place was near enough a full time job, and not something we wanted to replicate this time around. Don’t worry about my domestic chores, they’re pretty minimal these days and I’m only too happy to give them the elbow if hobby time calls!

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking little toys JBM…
    I like the ones in red best ๐Ÿ˜

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly - they’re not bad for teeny weeny lads even if I say so myself. There’s plenty more where that lot came from.

      Delete
  3. You have been busy and productive, they all look nice but I have to agree with Aly the boys in red look great ๐Ÿ˜„Battle scale buildings are great and I’m sure you will do a cracking job. USS Newton are we going to see some action in space? Just trying to decide what you could build with all that stone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Graham, i can always rely on you for a kind word. Not sure what I’ll do with all that stone just yet…the juries out. Now it’s out of sight at the other end of the property, probably nothing, lol, but at least I won’t be looking at it from my geek den window. As to the Newton, I couldn’t possibly say ;-)

      Delete
  4. Excellent post title JBM, you will have to let us know the visit count in due course! I do hope you have not just illegally demolished and removed a French historic place, it may have dated from the time of Vercingetorix!
    As all the other biased Brits have commented, nothing like troops in scarlet uniforms to stir the blood, they look great for 10mm figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vercingetorix, lol. I moved a couple the stones and waited anxiously for a delegation to arrive from the mayors office. Because they didn’t show I have had to conclude that the honour of France was not at stake and it was in fact just a pile of old crappy stones after all. Disappointingly there was no hidden nazi gold under there either. Damn.

      Delete
  5. Damn! Got me again. I never would have visited this page if I’d known the title was click bait. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    You’re building up a nice pair of AWI forces there. Any cav in the painting queue?
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris the cav are somewhere behind the hessians and the woodland Indians. Still don’t like painting horses!

      Delete
  6. Rock on JBM!! ๐Ÿ˜Ž Won't be long until the groupies turn up.
    Great looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t mind the groupies turning up - as long as they can do a decent job of painting 10mm miniatures. That’s about the only action they’d get to see these days, lol.

      Delete
  7. Really nice work on those figures Mark and Clib's AWI & LoA ranges for Pendraken are just superb! What a great view you have and I know it's easy to buy a property with lots of land, only to regreat it later. As you get older you realise that a small garden but with a nice view is the perfect compromise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, I’ve got to say I’ve pretty much fallen in love with 10mm as a scale and Pendraken as a manufacturer. They do indeed have some excellent sculpts. I’d have bought into their ECW range but for the really short pikes. I just don’t have the patience to remove and replace them unfortunately. As to the view, yeah it’s pretty nice and the garden size means I don’t have to sit on a ride on mower for hours at a time. I’m having to think ahead a bit these days.

      Delete
  8. Lovely AWI troops, still waiting for the 28mm ECW but I figure they'll be along soon enough!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! Don’t hold your breath in the 28mm. I leave that to you guys with actual money these days!

      Delete
  9. You are a dab hand at the 10mm, beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm that’s nice of you to say. 10mm seems to allow a good production rate while retaining a degree of detail and individual character. I’m still enjoying painting these fellas so I’m hoping to get the two forces done fairly quickly and out on the table.

      Delete
  10. Excellent use of the term 'way coolers" and I approve. My approval and $5 will get you an iced coffee these days. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

    great progress on the AWI troops and etc.. How big can a backlog of 10mm really get?
    I agree that the best part of remote gaming probably would be the being able to see/hear folks that only exist as names online (something is wrong with that sentence structure...). Most bloggers tend to be nice people. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I'll be interested to see what ya do with the space ship just because that's the phaser I'm right now (see what I did there?). though I am wrapping it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew, the lead pile is pretty big by my standards with around 400 other figures to paint, I know they’re only 10mm chaps but as my wife is always telling me - size doesn’t count. Lol.

      Delete
  11. Post title certainly grabbed this old stoners attention JBM :) 10mm's look great in fact everything out there looks great. All the best to you.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the positive vibes on the minis mate, if you think they look okay, that’s praise indeed.

    ReplyDelete