Tuesday 9 March 2021

New projects and Wofun thoughts

For the first time in my gaming life, (and much to my surprise) I’ve found myself with several projects “on the go” and even a bonafide lead pile!

The greatly anticipated Wofun order arrived 2 weeks or so ago but I had a huge bout of buyers remorse over the cost and ignored them for a couple of days until I could get over myself. Purchasing the biggest set they do (for the ECW) I’d gone out on a limb and blown £220.00 for the set - only to find I’d been hit with an additional £50 import tax charge before they could be delivered. Ouch. To some that might not be an issue but for those of us retired folk doing a bit of minimum wage labour to fund our gaming hobby that’s a lot of hours on cheese corner I can tell you.

Anywhoo...since their unboxing I’ve been methodically punching them out of their Perspex backing, painting the shiny edges with Vallejo sepia ink and rebasing them on flocked / gravelled edge painted stands. The number of units contained in the set means that this has become a fairly lengthy (and still unfinished) process.

About a third of the force done so far!

The Wofun minis / flats seem to come in two main “styles” one of which is that illustrated by Peter Denis. His images are muted and the tones accurately reflect the general uniform hue’s of the period. They look sharp enough in 28mm (from what I’ve seen) but in 18mm a lot of the detail gets lost in the general “muddieness” of the periods predominant greys and browns - especially so I think when the clear edges (that allow a little light in behind the figure?) are removed as I’ve done. Perhaps we have become too fixated on making our smaller scale mini’s “pop” when viewed from tabletop distance, I don’t know.

Slightly “muddy” mounted dragoon’s

So, are they good value for money? The answer depends on your requirements really. In a traumatic clearing out the barn exercise a few years ago, my mostly complete 15mm Peter Pig ECW army was mistakenly thrown away by well meaning helpers (I’ll be back in therapy for a few weeks again, having just recalled it) so for me the Wofun flats were an instant, just add water, sort of replacement. I also have a grandson who I hope to involve in the hobby and who needs figures he can handle without Grampa having a stroke over broken pikes etc.

Wiser heads like Peter over at a grid based gaming went for the paper flats by the same illustrator which can of course be scaled up and down with a photocopier and an army of any size produced from just the one book purchase. In any weighing up of worth it’s clear to see that £10.99 for the paperboys re sizeable unlimited production potential is hard to match against my £270.00 one off purchase.

I think it’s important at this juncture to point out that contrary to the marketing blurb this is not a cheap introduction into a period you might otherwise not have considered gaming and though I like the flats themselves they don’t look right to me when added as a supplement to an existing 3D force. 

On the plus side the Andy Callan rules that came with the set were really nice. Simple in execution where needed (which I like) but covering all of the nuances like volley fire, pike stands, limited pistol ammo for horse, blown nags etc etc. I’m not sure if they are totally new since Mr Callan has a fairly extensive back catalogue, but they would certainly stand separate publishing in my view. I was so impressed that I shall be using them for the tactical battles in my forthcoming ECW campaign.

The need to get my Wofun bods finished and thus kick off the aforementioned campaign has meant that two other projects have temporarily been put on the back burner.

One is the early Tudor naval campaign against France and Scotland, which has recently suffered from model availability and negative scale creep...

My proxy for the 1512 “Cordeliere” accompanied by a couple of galeasses, and caravels. 18mm pike lads are for size comparison. TD 1:2400

...and the other is project “X” which will scratch an itch of mine but be uniformly loathed by regular readers.

Project “X”

Tararr a bit for now.



21 comments:

  1. Hmmm sorry your thoughts of Wofun are a little muted, you are right they are not a cheap alternative compared to buying a book and photocopying or resizing and cutting out but I’m still fairly resolute, that compared to me buying a couple of new armies that will sit in a box waiting to be painted it’s a viable option. Hopefully you will see the benefits as time goes by.
    The ‘extra’ fees is an interesting one on my first order I only paid £31 incl. £11 DHL handling fee on my second order which was of a lower value than the first I paid £52 incl. the £11 handling.
    I did query with Wofun who took it up with DHL - they couldn’t give an answer other than they must have made a mistake on the first order and undercharged me!
    Anyway make the most of them and I’m sure you will get use from them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Graham, have no fear the Wofun guys are going to get constant use! I’m just trying to decide whether to ignore the hexes on my terrain and go with Mr Callan rules “as is” or adjust them to range an£ movement wise to conform to them. To be clear they are very nicely produced and the quality of the product is beyond reproach. In 18mm I’m actually even happy with the cannon barrels as they are. I shall no doubt enjoy them more when I’ve topped up my hobby account again!

      Delete
  2. Interesting update and congratulations on your acquisition of a lead pile :-)

    I thought the Wofun were a bit pricey, but that extra 50 quid must have been a bit of a shocker! It’s a great shame as I think people will start reducing their import purchases until these sort of things work themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, you should have seen my face when I got the text asking for the dosh. Fortunately I might not have to buy any more of them as long as I’m prepared to accept the Covenanter and Irish foot as proxy’s for English units. I could always over paint the flags I suppose, but that seems a tad unnecessary since my opponent (me) is okay with the premise.

      Delete
  3. Lovely stuff JBM...
    Peter’s artwork is lovely... as are his Paper Boys...
    But cutting out all these miniatures... aaaaargh!

    Is project X set on Mars?

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly, I confess I never thought about all that cutting out. That must be really fiddly.

      Project X... close but no cigar.

      Delete
  4. The WoFun figures have gained a lot of interest. My gaming buddy has gone ALL IN on 18mm Texas Revolution and Jacobites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jonathan, I saw some pictures of his forces around the Alamo...and jolly fine they looked too.

      Delete
  5. I can see why people like the Wofun figures, as you have an almost instant army to play with. But the price is rather steep and now with the change in import duties etc, the cost is even more prohibitive. They are not for me but I hope you get to have fun playing with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, they’ll very shortly be in regular use...whereupon fun will no doubt ensue!

      Delete
  6. Hello there JBM. I must confess that when I read that total of £270.00 all in it did stagger me a bit so I can understand how you felt. I have had those same guilt feelings myself when making a large hobby purchase but hopefully once you begin to reap the benefits of what you have there I'm sure it will fade.

    I really like the artwork on those ECW's compared to some of Peters Ancients for example. I did once download one of the freebie sheets just to see how they would look printed at 18mm scale, pretty good I thought but impossible to cut out, or at least for me as I am not a patient man.

    Hope you get a lot of pleasure from them and I look forward to seeing them all out on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lee, the quality of the product is fantastic, but there was definitely a lot of guilt around spending that much. Usually £50 in a month on toy soldiers sets me off in a cold sweat...lol (one reason I’ve never before had a lead pile). I’ve no doubt that the little buggers are going to get worked to death in the near future!

      Delete
  7. Is it a proper lead pile if it’s made of Perspex though? 😉

    I’d feel the same about spending £270 in one go. But give me half a dozen orders of £50 and I wouldn’t lose any sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Oh I wasn’t counting the Perspex...there’s enough real lead with the 1:2400 naval, the war of the roses, and Project X.

      Spot on with you expenditure comment! Nuts isn’t it!

      Delete
  8. Look forward to seeing the games, and more on Mr Callan's rules, they sound interesting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, the games won’t be far off now. I’ve spent most of the day today finishing off the foot units and wrangling the cannons. The only change I’m making to Mr Callan’s rules is to convert ranges and movement distances into hexes so I can use my hex on terrain.

      Delete
  9. They do look good, hope to see them in action! Is there a sort of sliding scale of cost vs. effort here? Cheapest is 'paperboys' but quite a lot of fiddling about requuired. Most expensive would be figures from a painting service, but no effort required. Wofun may be a nice middle ground, not as pricey as painted metals, less faff than paperboys. ( Buying expensive metal figures and painting them yourself might actually be worst of all worlds..? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might’ve hit on something there David - I’ve certainly never looked at it quite like that. I did spend a small fortune on my 6mm ECW guys now I’ve stopped to tot it up. I had the reverse situation back then in that the product was in Britain and cost a fortune to have it posted out to France. Always in the wrong place at the wrong time me...hell, I’ve made an art form out of it. Many of my initial misgivings over the Wofun purchase have evaporated now that progress has been made on basing them up...I even like the square cannons, lol.

      Delete
  10. They do look good, hope to see them in action! Is there a sort of sliding scale of cost vs. effort here? Cheapest is 'paperboys' but quite a lot of fiddling about requuired. Most expensive would be figures from a painting service, but no effort required. Wofun may be a nice middle ground, not as pricy as painted metals, less faff than paperboys. ( Buying expensive metal figures and painting them yourself might actually be worst of all worlds..? )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, beautiful flats, have to try them one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Phil, I’ve grown to really like them too.

      Delete