Friday 19 March 2021

Testing times

Testing times indeed. I got the rest of my Wofun boys edged and based yesterday so I thought I’d drag out Mr Callan’s rules and give them a quick run through before starting my follow on ECW campaign.

Since I’ve committed totally to hexon terrain these days I breezily decided to just convert the base width ranges and movement rates given in the rules to hexes, however, the way the foot units are depicted in them is in a long line which meant for me I’d have to spread a single regiment over two hexes.

Bunched up or spread out?


If I bunched them up like the bods on the left of the picture I could just play the rules as is, however if I deployed them over the two hexes, it would mean a few extra tweaks to make things work. I’m still undecided about which course to choose but I gamed the two hex version just to try it out and wasn’t unhappy with how things went. 

Fire combat was largely ineffective unless concentrated and at close range, while coming to push of pike seemed to be the way to force the issue to a speedy conclusion. The game is not counter heavy even with the “advanced rules”... I used a pistol counter to denote parliamentary horse ammo supply, (they get only 1 volley of pistol fire per game) and (since they are only allowed 2 charges per game) a “blown” marker to prevent horse from either side exceeding their allowance.

Being a solo player the “sort of” igougo turn sequence is not a problem...and by “sort of” I mean that sides dice to see who goes first in both fire and movement phases. 

The only real area of uncertainty and contention is in the movement / melee area, where (given the way the rules are written) if I moved into melee with an enemy unit as the first player in a turn to move, during his turn he could move out of melee and disengage before any fighting. My fix is to just pin units in place that have been attacked, but it would have been nice to have had that ironed out officially.

The number of units provided in this, the biggest Wofun offering, is sufficient overall, though I think a few more horse would be useful and I will undoubtedly use the Scottish and Irish regiments as proxy’s from time to time. 

For the forthcoming campaign I expect to have 7 units in a small army, 9 in a medium sized army and 11 in a large army.

Testing testing 123

Any thoughts on what looks best deployment wise (i.e. 1 hex or 2 for foot regiments) would be welcome!

With any luck I can start the campaign next week!

Tararr a bit, for now...(as we say in Brum) or Hwyl, as we say here in the PRoWW.


19 comments:

  1. Bunched up and one hex definitely works for me. In fact I would ditch the double depth, to give double the number of units available to play, but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunched up just looks "right", somehow.. I like the mass effect... in fact I like it so much I may even have an experiment with my 15's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, my 6mm bods were bunched up as well, and I did like the look of them. Seems to be 3-0 so far for bunched up.

      Delete
  3. Personally I’d go for single hex units, but thin the ranks but. I’d go for three ranks deep.

    The wider formation is probably closer to actual relative dimensions though, but I guess we all have those woodcut images in our heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude. The consensus seems to be for the one hex, so I’ll go with that, however I’m not able to thin the ranks out as suggested since under Mr Callan’s rules it would distort the “staying power” of the regiment. With only the one hex occupied I can get more regiments on the board and leave gaps between them for that chequerboard effect.

      Delete
  4. The figures look great with the darkened edges. I’m a sheep without a mind of my own, so I will just agree with everyone else that one hex is best :-)

    One hex will cause least problems with rule conversion and will effectively double the width of the table. Also, for two hexes you might need some extra mechanics to deal with overlap, where 2 enemy contact 1 defender and different combat results fall out of each of the two enemy attacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, I’d actually thrashed out some slight changes to movement etc in order to accommodate the extended line and the two hexes. It worked okay in two very brief text games. I’m going to have to check the rules again to see if the formation Mr Callan has settled on (ie the spread out) would be compromised if the unit was bunched up. Your comment on the overlap aspect of combat is an important point to consider.

      Delete
  5. Yes they look good, darkened edges are fine! Interesting about the 1/2 hex quandry: nundanket has a point about the real proportions of a regiment ( maybe 6 deep but up to 80 or 100 wide? ). Now what area of ground does a hex represent - how wide a space, in yards? And how does that compare to the space a regiment would occupy? (he says, as he flings a pedantic spanner into the works, and sidles away...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. Not so much a pedantic spanner as some important points to consider. However, given that my 17th century lads are unaware of the existence of a 3rd dimension (which is clearly the work of Satan) and are ushered across terrain that’s been obviously carved up into hexagons I’ve pretty clearly already surrendered any pretence at striving for reality. It’s probably far to late for me to get hung up on anything like detail. Lol.

      Delete
  6. Hello JBM.

    I would go with the single hex for sure because the unit looks so much more like the contemporary illustrations like that, the deep pike block and deep wings of shot look just right to me. Darkened edges work very well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! It looks like people are pretty unanimous in this view.

      Delete
  7. Yup... I’m with the single hex option.
    It makes for a nice solid looking unit.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly. Who am I to fly in the face of public opinion. 1 hex it is!

      Delete
  8. Nice, the painted edge works well, I prefer the two hex, just to try and add some balance to this one sided discussion!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Late to the party but single hex for definite- looks right, keeps things simple and allows for more units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t care what time you turn up. You’re always welcome here. I think I can now close the voting on this one. Lol. Single hex it is.

      Delete